Help planning low voltage outdoor lighting

jeffesonmJune 16, 2013

Hi all - I am building a firepit and seating area in my backyard. The firepit will be surrounded by a dry stack stone retaining wall that I just started building. Before I any further, I thought it might be a good idea to lay wire into the wall for future installation of low voltage lights. Any suggestions? Should I just get some low voltage wire and run it through the middle of the wall, and then run some tails out to the inside of the wall every few feet? Or just build it wall and run it in front/behind the wall later on?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wam67

Check out focus ind sl-42 ledge lights. They are great under a cap on a stone wall. I have them on my outdoor kitchen as well. I atttached a pic

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 9:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chris.thomas

Low voltage lights always look great in outdoor living spaces! If I were you, I would run some thin conduit through your wall so you can pull wire through later. This also allows you to fix problems later. As you suggested, running some tails (also through conduit, if possible) every few feet will give you options when you decide to commit to your lighting project. Good luck!

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
progressnerd
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™