Help -- lighting plan suggestions?

lynda_bakerJune 1, 2009

I'm looking for some lighting plan suggestions. I know nothing about this and am unhappy with the KD suggestions so far, so I'm going to post here. Unfortunately, I don't have an electronic version of her plan yet, but I will try to explain.

This is an overhead of the kitchen area. We have three undercabinet lights along the sink/cooktop run. How many recessed lights do we need in this space?

In this perspective, you can see the area in front of the window. We may keep our dining table there, but also want to have the flexibility of moving it, so we'd like recessed there (also because of the lower ceiling, which cannot be raised) How many there?

In the overhead drawing you can see the large open area -- this is going to be "extra" space we're still not sure how we are utlizing, but it needs to be lighted as well.

I will try to scan the electrical drawing I was given, but I am hoping this is enough for some initial suggestions.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
normclc

I would suggest 5" recessed fixtures with clear alzac or haze trims, c/w 75par30/Fl halogen lamps , installed on 4' centres down the middle of the kitchen space, starting 2' into the space.
You will get the flexibility you want with recessed fixtures over your table, but you will have no "horizontal light" in your space, and all vertical light makes the area cave-like and causes dark shadows on your face(the way we used to put a flashlight under our chin at Halloween)
You could use a semi-flush fixture over the table,and still have the ability to move the table

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 9:35PM
cristymeshel

I will suggest you to go through here for all Lighting Plan

Here is a link that might be useful: Lighting Plan

Bookmark   June 14, 2009 at 10:04AM
rmintak

that link goes no where useful

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 1:16AM
normclc

If you want to e-mail me, I will send you back my fax #.
You can send me a copy, and I will return it to you with my suggestions

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
Dining Room Lighting - Pendant too large?
I would like to remove my 6-globe chandelier and replace...
cubby325
Do LED lights put out enough light
I am looking at Moooi Raimond chandeliers. According...
mrsargent
Kitchen light fixture inadequate.
I love school lights but I need at least 400 watts...
Anne Jones
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™