What kind of wire for these Holophane pendants?

bickybeeJune 27, 2012

I recently bought two vintage Lobay holophane pendants for over our kitchen island. They appear to never have been used.

They have a porcelain socket and short wires coming from it. I need to wire them with a type of wire which I can suspend from the ceiling. Each lamp weights over 7 lbs. What kind of wire would I use that would support them? I am trying to avoid using chain with wire threaded through. I think originally these lights were suspended with the wire running through a rigid metal tube. My ceiling is sloped, so I think that would make it more complicated. I like the look of cloth covered wire but don't know where to get it or if it is strong enough.

I don't know how to embed a photo so I've included a link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Holophane pendants

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

An alternative solution to the traditional chain would be a aircraft cable suspension system to carry the weight of the lamp.

http://www.griplocksystems.com/lighting/

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 1:03AM
brickeyee

There are only a few types of cordage allowed to carry weight, and they are generally made with a separate strength member.

The copper wire carrying electricity is NOT used to also carry significant weight.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 12:00PM
bickybee

Brickeyee, are you saying that there is a cord I can get that will support the weight AS WELL AS carry electricity? Or do I need two different cords, one for electricity and the other to carry the load? Is this cordage specified by a number of some sort? Do you know what I would ask for to support the weight of a pendant weighing over 7 lbs?

Davidtay, I will show my electrician the link to this product, the griplocksystem and see if it's something he can work with. Thanks.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 2:39PM
David

There are a number of wire suspension systems of which the griplock system is an example.

The conducting wires are generally not used to bear the weight of the lamp. Instead, there is always a separate load bearing member - rod, chain, wire, ...
For example
http://www.griplocksystems.com/lighting/detail.cfm?Ceiling-Assembly&id=513&cat=5

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
Has Anything Changed In Recessed LCD Lighting Since 2012?!?
GW, Hello everyone! Just wanted to say that this is...
AndrewDK
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™