Ceiling fan and room lighting

sajeevJune 29, 2012

My new living room is to have a central ceiling fan. I am unsure what is the best general lighting I should use. My experience with my present home has been troubling: I have a ceiling fan with 4 lights fixed to it. When I turn the fan and lights on at night, the fans produce an annoying moving shadow of its blades on the ceiling and upper walls, so much so that I have to switch off either. Can this problem be solved by putting recessed cans on either side of the fan or pendant lights on either side of the fan or regular downlights on either side of the fan? If these are not correct, what other solutions are available. Help, please

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roadbike

As long as the blades pass behind or in front of the light you will get moving shadows or flickering. Stands to reason as the blade passes through the cast light. Yes moving light sources outboard of the fan should significantly reduce but may not completely eliminate the moving shadows. Some blade shadow is all but inevitable.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 11:39PM
garethcooper9

Ooh, that's a tough one. I friend of mine ended up removing the ceiling fan. It was just too annoying.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 6:53AM
Alittleapple

You may give up the lamps on the fan, and install some wall lamps around the walls.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
If we need to do smaller 3 inch recessed lights in a shower ....
Hi everyone, We are trying to work out if we can put...
ontariomom
Recessed lighting - Remodel (yes/no) LED Can and Trim/Engine (model)
Hi, I want to install recessed lighting in my house...
firsthome_sfh
Kitchen light fixture inadequate.
I love school lights but I need at least 400 watts...
Anne Jones
Accent Eyeball lighting for Artwork
Any recommendations for size and type of eyeball light?...
lake72
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™