NYTimes: A paella contest between friends

jkom51July 16, 2013

This was a great read, and the photos will make one hungry, LOL! They give the recipes for both paellas, as well as the rose sangria that everybody got snockered on. I'm actually not a paella fan, but my spouse loves it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Paella: land versus sea

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

Sounds fun. I'm wondering about the (currently) only comment on the article, "The rice concoctions described in this article are not paella." Wish they would have expanded on that. Anyone?

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 6:20PM
sleevendog

That was a strange comment. And unnecessary. Traditional recipes always have variations based on, not only income, but geographically if you are coastal or inland. They did wait for the rice to crackle leaving it undisturbed.
It looks so good but i prefer a mixed seafood fish stew, brothy, with a nice crusty bread, sometimes adding spicy sausage. It's the sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the rice to burn i can't take...i'm just way too forgetful and multi-tasking to add cooking stress to my game. : )

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 1:57PM
rob333

Loved that article. Well written and I felt like I was there.

It got answered if you want to go back FOAS :)

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 8:40AM
foodonastump

Thanks Robin - I just read through the responses and maybe I missed something because I'm multitasking but I don't see the answer. I see a lot of opinions about which proteins are traditional, etc. which I'd probably attribute more to regional differences or more likely "how my abuelita makes it" but not something that specifically defines the dish.

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 9:26AM
rob333

You see the answer. The person answered that the ingredients were wrong, I think. Something along the lines of, you may have a Philly Cheesesteak (how do you spell that!) replacing the meat with tofu, and it may taste good, but it's not really a Cheese"steak". Which, I think, they were being petty. The distinction/comparison with ingredients/chili is made throughout the article. If it's true, then I disagree with the comment.

Well for me, it's BBQ where I argue. I don't see dry rub without the sauce (Memphis style) being BBQ . Now I won't deny you find it to be BBQ, you can call it that, but I won't see it as such. I'll just see it as "ribs grilled with seasoning", for instance. I may eat it and enjoy it, thouroughly!, but call it BBQ, nope.

;)

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
Charoset ice cream
Charoset (for Ashkenazic Jews) is a mixture of ground/shredded...
Cloud Swift
What kind of bread to bake to make breadcrumbs?
I'm making up some Italian bread dough to retard in...
beesneeds
OT - spoon basket
So I am having some work done on my 'kitchen'. The...
agmss15
How Do You Cook Brown Rice?
Having just turned 52, it is no longer possible to...
johnliu_gw
So what is "a bunch"?
It drives me crazy when recipes call for a bunch of...
laceyvail
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™