Can I swag a minichandelier from a wall junction box

annieecampJune 16, 2011

I wanted a special light for my powder room. Can't seem to find what I want for the wall mount box that has put in (new construction). I have found a very cute mini chandelier I would like to hang. Can I mount it to the junction box on the wall and then swag it to the ceiling. Will it look funny and has anyone done this?

Thanks!

Ann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

It is technically possible, but there are other considerations which would rule it out. For instance - it would look strange and be potentially unsafe.

Since you will need to install a mounting point in the ceiling that is able to bear the weight of the chandelier, why not put in the necessary wiring and junction box as well? Then you have a nicely mounted chandelier.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 4:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roadbike

Where is the junction box relative to the vanity/sink/mirror. Depending on the location you might want to consider swagging two small globes or similar. The best solution is to have an electrician install the correct wiring and box for something like a flush mount and/or sconces. I'm concerned about a low hanging chandelier hanging directly over where you would walk. Open bulbs could be easily damaged. How far off the floor would the bottom of this fixture be.

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
Do LED lights put out enough light
I am looking at Moooi Raimond chandeliers. According...
mrsargent
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
progressnerd
Pixi Lighting
Has anyone used the pixi lighting yet? It seems like...
stlblufan
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™