Will pendants be enough for this small kitchen?

southernstitcherJune 9, 2009

I'm keeping the galley style here, only changing the placement of appliances. This kitchen is 10 x 16. My contractor has suggested pendant lights (4 or 5 of them) to hang from the beam, and removing the ceiling fan, which we do want to get rid of.

My husband is thinking we'll also need cans, perhaps placed between the center beam and the cabinet line.

I'm thinking so too, since right now the ceiling fan lights do face outward, and the pendants will only be facing the floor! We will have under cabinet lights, but I'm not sure what kind yet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lancer1991

You could always go with some type of semi-flushmount fixture in place of the ceiling fan along with the pendants rather than the can lights. This way you can put in some warm white CFL's. I haven't had any luck with the enclosed CFL's for the can lights. Seem to take to long to warm up for the larger size. Smaller ones are okay.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 9:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southernstitcher

Thanks, that is a good idea. I never thought of combining pendants with another fixture. I'll have to see if they have matching ones at the light store. Many thanks - that would likely do the job without having to do cans!

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
Recessed lighting - Remodel (yes/no) LED Can and Trim/Engine (model)
Hi, I want to install recessed lighting in my house...
firsthome_sfh
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
Accent Eyeball lighting for Artwork
Any recommendations for size and type of eyeball light?...
lake72
Help with different types of LED recessed lighting please!
Can someone explain the basic differences in the different...
Michelle
Please help us get rid of buzz from dimming LED can lights
I cross posted this in Kitchens, but am hopeful someone...
laughablemoments
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™