Could Charlie's Soap be weakening fabric?

eligainOctober 12, 2013

I started using Charlie's Soap (both powder and liquid) (mostly liquid) since we first got our front load LG in 1996 and I have noticed my clothes and other washables wearing out prematurely and fabric becoming so weak it just tears. At first I blamed the front load washer even though they keep saying that front loaders are gentler on clothes, but now I wonder if it's the detergent and since I've been only using Charlie's I have to wonder about it. We never had this problem with our top loader and I never used Charlie's in the top loader, only Tide and Cheer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grapeleaves

I have had a FL machine about the same amount of time
as you. Have not noticed premature weakening.
In fact, just the opposite.
Since I can now select the appropriate cycle for the various
fabrics, I think my clothes are lasting longer.
I have used various detergents.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 10:58AM
jakvis

THe main problem I'm seeing is that the cloth the clothes are made from seems much thiner and cheaper.
I can go to the store and put my fingers under a T-shirt and see through it. jeans don't seem as thick as the used to. I think this is the real problem. with clothes wearing out sooner than previous.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 12:58PM
eligain

I agree about some clothes and fabrics now being cheaper but I am noticing very hardy fabrics breaking down faster than they did before I was using a front load washer or Charlie's Soap. Thick jeans for instance, good sheets. Me and my mother bought sheet sets about 7 to 8 years ago and hers are still looking good (she still uses a top loader and Tide. Mine have since disintegrated and I have had sheets last me 20 years or more before! So something is happening since I got this LG 2277 front loader.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 3:04PM
dadoes

Don't know much about Charlie's Soap, never used it ... but vaguely recall that a large proportion of the formula is washing soda(?), which can be harsh.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 4:03PM
miele1966

It is the Charlie's in my opinion. I had the same issues when I started using it. Almost pure washing soda in that concentrated pool of water at the bottom of your washer seems harsh to me. In my opinion, Charlie's does nothing to protect colors or any fabrics in the wash.

Yes, clothing and such are not made like they used to be. You definitely get what you pay for these days!

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 11:02AM
More Discussions
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
Sad FS discovery
I've never been one to over think the use of FS. I...
andi2928
Laundry room reveal
We just updated our laundry/mud room after years of...
kooopons
2015 washer/dryer
I just bought a new house and need a washer/dryer....
Jason Burroughs
Vibration reduction in compact washers - Whirlpool vs. Asko?
We recently moved into a new house and are considering...
mannyzen76
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™