Low Voltage U/C Wiring Help (also posted in Electrical Wiring)

monkeystomachJune 13, 2011

I need a lot of help with this under cabinet lighting system I am trying to plan.

I have so many questions I really do not know where to start so I will try to explain and hopefully my very crude drawing will help.

I would like a low voltage linear under cabinet lighting system like these from Sea Gull (http://www.seagulllighting.com/Linear-Lighting.htm).

I have two separate runs of cabinet that are both in the kitchen, but I would not be able to hide the low voltage cable if I ran it from one set of cabinets to the other.

So my questions are as followed:

1. Can place the transformer in the crawlspace under the kitchen?

2. Can I branch off of the transformer with two branches using NM cable to run the low voltage current in the walls to the cabinets?

3. Can I directly wire the 120v 15a circuit into the transformer without using a switch? (I do not want to clutter the backsplash/walls with switches)

4. Can I use some sort of small in-line low voltage dimmer in a junction box under my cabinets and then convert the NM cable to the low voltage cable?

5. Can I use the transformer as a junction box under my house to also connect my current overhead lighting?

Thanks,

Ed

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

The transformer should be in an accessible location.

There should be a switch between the 120V line and the transformer. You really don't want to have the transformer being fed electricity all the time.

Using the transformer as a junction box is not the best idea. In other words, probably no.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
Bedroom Lighting Advice?
I just came up with a first draft for lighting in our...
schicksal
Durable Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
I would like some recommendations on quality, durable...
happs
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
What light would look nice over the sink?
Hi, I'm stumped trying to find a pendant light to go...
sweetoo
thoughts on WAC Lighting LEDme Pro Light Bars
title says it all - any feedback on this brand and...
lmgch
Sponsored Products
Jaquette Sofa - TAUPE
$4,299.00 | Horchow
Koi III
Grandin Road
Gather Brushed Nickel Five-Light CFL Chandelier with Etched Glass Shade
$180.27 | Bellacor
Couristan 3080-6813 Five Seasons Cream Indoor/Outdoor Rug Multicolor - 308068131
$19.00 | Hayneedle
Café Toile Tote
$6.99 | zulily
Safavieh Handmade Moroccan Cambridge Rust Wool Rug (9' x 12')
Overstock.com
52" Fanimation Camhaven Pewter Finish Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Antasia Bowl
Lightology
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™