help me gauge what the lighting salesperson told us

kate38June 7, 2011

We met with our builder's recommended salesperson in her showroom to discuss lighting for our new build. She told us two things that confused me. First is that we should put a flush mount in the foyer because there isn't enough height for a chandelier. The ceiling is 9'. Then we said we wanted lighting in the master bath for our aging eyes so we can see to shave or put on makeup. We read that lighting on both sides of the mirror, plus overhead lighting, is best. She said we didn't need side lighting (or sconces) at the mirror's sides because it wouldn't help, and that all we need is a 3 or 4-light bar over the mirror. What do you think of her advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

Was she thinking about the grand chandeliers used in ballrooms?

There are others who would recommend using sconces in the bathroom to properly illuminate the mirror. You can check out the robern website for ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: robern lighting

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 1:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginny20

I think you should be able to have something hang. My foyer is tiny and I only have 8' ceilings, but I still was able to get what is probably considered a semi-flush - it hangs down about 12". (No one taller than 7' has ever visited us). You should have much more leeway than that. Just make sure the chandelier isn't in the way when the door opens.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 3:56PM
More Discussions
Quality of LED fixtures from different manufacturers
Hello! Does anyone know how LED light fixtures from...
linae
Disappointed with my LED recessed lights ... what now?
My LED recessed lights (Cree 6'' 2700K) were installed...
aussies
i found this on ebay
its a led strap very nice anf beautiful Specifications: Ø...
Ran Peretz
Rosette on slanted dining room ceiling?
Moved into a resale which has a dining room fixture...
Barb P
MR16 vs GU10
What is the difference between MR16 and GU10 halogen...
mtvhike
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™