Low Voltage LED Reassessed Lighting ?'s

TonySakJune 15, 2011

My electrician is suggesting Low Voltage LED Reassessed Lighting for the kitchen/living room area in my addition. My impression of it is is instead of having all the transformer on the LED light itself, it moves it to a single location so it can be easier and cost effectively replaced if it fails. I guess it would also be about 50% cheaper than going with a Cree housing and bulb.

Can any one recommend a good brand name for this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

If you're looking for LED recessed lighting, it is extremely difficult to beat Cree.

The only other brand that is worth considering is the Sylvania RT6.

Having a single transformer in one location works for under cabinet lighting since the total length of low voltage wiring is small (typically For recessed lighting, the total wiring length will be much longer since the lights will most likely not be daisy chained in series.

The total wattage requirements will most likely exceed 100W, requiring a larger transformer and thicker wiring. There are tables available for low voltage wiring lengths and thickness.

The voltage drop across the longest run may also be too great for the light to work properly.

In addition, the transformer would need to be in an accessible location to be changed out.

The housing itself will

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
Pendant help
Hello, Does anyone know where I can buy these lovely...
Nicole Falla
Lighting for small walk in closet
Hello, We are about ready to build our master closet....
Anthony
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
Do LED lights put out enough light
I am looking at Moooi Raimond chandeliers. According...
mrsargent
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™