Just wondering if any of you could possibly answer a question for me please? The other day I smelled something unusual in the house. It smelled a lot like the smell when you first turn on the furnace for the winter season. However that was not the case as the furnace was off. I made my way downstairs and the smell was stronger as I approached the dryer. Touched the dryer and it was so hot to the touch I had to use a potholder to open the door. Once I opened the door in which I had a load of towels in the dryer there was this large piece of melted plastic that was unidentifiable. All I could think of at the time is what the heck is this thing....thatÃ¢ÂÂs the nice way of putting it. lol
I immediately went to find a fan to place in front of the open door to try and cool the dryer down so I could do some investigating. I removed the towels & the plastic piece and was able to stick my head into the dryer some to have a look around. I found that the plastic piece was what I now know to be called a "baffle" was missing. This baffle was completely melted and not only was it melted the lint trap handle was also melted a little.
I was on my way out of town and thank goodness I found this before leaving as I'm wondering now if the dryer could have caught fire and burned the house down. I unplugged the dryer and left the fan running to cool it down but my question is what could have caused this to happen? Is this the result of the thermostat sticking causing extreme heat? Is it the result of the baffle falling off that the dryer got so hot? I really would like to know what needs to be replaced and if any of you have an idea of what it may cost to repair this problem.
Any suggestions or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. :)