Lighting Plan for new construction

lniaJune 3, 2012

Hello,

Below is our lighting plan. I would appreciate your thoughts. The one thing I know we are going to do is eliminate ceiling fans from bedrooms. Also, we are debating on the great room. DH does not want recessed lights due to loss of heat but I am not sure what are other options would be. I don't want a chandelier and I don't want light fixtures that you would find in bedrooms. Would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lnia

2nd floor...

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 8:33AM
roadbike

Is it new construction or rehab of an existing house? You talk about eliminating light fixtures which implies some are there already.

That's a lot of lighting for advice on. For the bedrooms where there were lighted fans you could just rely on table and floor lamps. Beyond that I suggest that you engage a lighting designer or at least a good sales person at a local lighting store for advice on not only the amount of light needed but also fixture design.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 8:57PM
lnia

Thanks. New construction. I will be eliminating the fans (from the plan) in the bedrooms.

My biggest concern is figuring out the great room lights. Right now the room shows recessed lighting but we are debating changing this. DH wants regular lights. I think this would not look nice. And I don't want chandelier. I have heard of track lighting but not sure if that would work in a room this size. I have also thought about scones throughout but not sure if they would provide enough visible light. Is recessed lighting really our best option for 2 story great room?

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 9:48PM
roadbike

I think for a 2 story great room you will need more than recessed lighting. I would use floor and table lamps to supplement. Put the recessed on dimmers.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 1:21PM
David

You could consider the use of cove lighting - along the perimeter of the room to provide indirect lighting.

If recessed lighting is still deemed necessary, use higher output lamps like the CreeLR6-DR1000 (1000 lumens). As an added bonus, those lights should be able to last > 15 years.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Anyone using regular white bulbs in a clear glass fixture?
The light fixture my mom and I like best so far for...
Robyn Hoke
Rosette on slanted dining room ceiling?
Moved into a resale which has a dining room fixture...
Barb P
Legacy Debut Kitchen Cabinet -designer construction
Hi, Does anyone have any feedback on this cabinet...
Lisa Smith
Recessed Lighting Layout for Kitchen
Hi, everyone. I know this is asked all the time, but...
firefox15
Quality of LED fixtures from different manufacturers
Hello! Does anyone know how LED light fixtures from...
linae
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting P7375-30 Two-Light Close-To-Ceiling With White Acrylic Cloud D
Progress Lighting
Claritas Floor Lamp by Omikron Design
$833.03 | Lumens
Halloween Halloween Zombie Cat
Grandin Road
Chantilly 10-light Hanging Chandelier Fixture
Overstock.com
Elk Lighting Fission 3-Light Linear Wine Pendant in Satin Nickel
Beyond Stores
Maxim Lighting 7137WSOI Essentials Oil Rubbed Bronze 3 Light Vanity
Littman Bros Lighting
Westinghouse 1-1/2 in. Swag Hooks (2-Pack) 7045100