Question about radio-controlled switches

latimoreJune 2, 2009

I have a ceiling mounted fixture that is currently operated with a pull chain. I'd like it to be switched.

I've talked to a number of electricians who have seemed to be a little hesitant to do this because of cutting the existing finishes (old beadboard), or who have suggested that the only way to do it is with wiremold, which I find unacceptable.

I'm looking for some ideas/thoughts about radio controlled switches. We have a Heath Zenith one that screws into the fixture (came with the house) - it seems to work just fine. They're about $20-25. I know there are much more expensive options out there as well that are wired into the fixture (or into the power into the fixture). Does anyone have experience with these or a product they would recommend - or discourage?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
guido_gardener

I think that for your simple requirements, the cheapies will be fine. Screw one part into the fixture and use a portable or wall mounted remote to operate it, no reason to make it more complicated than that.

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 4:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tzmaryg

We have one that seems to switch on randomly. I'm sure there is some sort of radio signal that activates it, but I've not been able to trace a source. It is annoying to come home after a long stretch to find it burning away.

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Dining Room Lighting - Pendant too large?
I would like to remove my 6-globe chandelier and replace...
cubby325
Accent Eyeball lighting for Artwork
Any recommendations for size and type of eyeball light?...
lake72
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
elcabezon
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™