Old fixtures in a new house

mushcreekJune 7, 2014

I'm single-handedly building our Craftsman house in rural SC, and we are trying to incorporate old pieces from that era into our build. I have bought a number of vintage lighting fixtures on ebay, and am re-wiring them to use.

The ceiling fixture originally had the light bulbs pointed downward, which I didn't care for, and it requires a decorative bulb. The LED bulbs we use certainly don't look 'right'. I put new sockets in, pointing up, and covered the large holes in the bottom with back plates for cabinet knobs. With the LED bulbs, the whole fixture is only 15 watts. I still need to put on the pendant that hangs from the middle.

The wall sconce is one of a pair I bought. The electric parts had been removed, and they had been used with real candles instead. I installed candelabra sockets and re-wired them. I do need much lower wattage bulbs than shown here.

I also have two pairs of porcelain wall sconces to be used in the bathrooms, but they need to be re-wired first.

The best part of fixing up these old fixtures is that they can be found for far less than reproduction ones. The LED bulbs cost more than the ceiling fixture did!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zagyzebra

Very nice!

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 8:11PM
More Discussions
MR16 vs GU10
What is the difference between MR16 and GU10 halogen...
mtvhike
i found this on ebay
its a led strap very nice anf beautiful Specifications: Ø...
Ran Peretz
Need help with recessed lighting placement
We're working on a total remodel of our kitchen. The...
judydenver
Need help finding black lantern sconces
I am trying to find black lantern lights like this....
marthasiny
Need help identifying chandelier
Hello, I recently saw a chandelier that I really liked,...
Sgreen
Sponsored Products
Sonneman | Aquo 3-Light Bath Bar
$490.00 | YLighting
48" x 40" Kalla Wet Room Enclosure
Signature Hardware
Lithonia Lighting Other Lighting 1-Light Flush Mount White Ceiling Fluorescent
$21.87 | Home Depot
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 2-Light Outdoor Mottled Leather Wall Mount with Tawny
Home Depot
Stilo Satin Nickel LED Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and Magma Glass
$346.50 | Bellacor
Capital Lighting Preston Mediterranean Bronze Four-Light Outdoor Hanging Lantern
$244.00 | LuxeDecor
Garvin Four-Light Bath Fixture
$137.00 | Bellacor
Dazzling Clear Color Crystal Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™