Washing mashine suggestions for horse laundry?

subk3October 17, 2013

The biggest problem is dirty horse blankets--think queen size comforter. (I'll hose off any mud first!) Top load/front load? HE/non-HE? How big/cu ft would I need?

Ideally I'm thinking big, basic and inexpensive, any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sreedesq

Future MIL always uses large capacity top loader with agitator. Honestly, I would try to find an old set made well in good condition. Those horse blankets are something else.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 9:19PM
enduring

A barn that was near me when we kept a horse or two there had a commercial speed queen front loader set for pads, wraps, etc. But for the horse blankets they always took them to a commercial laundry for cleaning.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 10:52PM
subk3

Yeah, the blankets are big and dirty, even with the mud hosed/brushed off. I worry about water efficiency models just not having enough water to clean them.

The commercial place where I usually do them myself has stopped accepting them. I can send them off and have them done, but it costs as much as $30 a blanket and I have over a dozen of them to keep clean during the winter!

Saddle pads and wraps are not a big deal. They do just find in my home washer. (Although I'd love to keep them out of the house!) But I draw the line at doing horse blankets in the same machine as my unmentionables! ;-0

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 5:51PM
kerbosch

Inexpensive machines dont clean that well and they blow up due to the heavy blanket.

Little Giant from Miele has an equine program made for horse blankets

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 9:18PM
kerbosch

Inexpensive machines dont clean that well and they blow up due to the heavy blanket.

Little Giant from Miele has an equine program made for horse blankets

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 9:19PM
enduring

Oh I would have loved to get that Little Giant for our use. But it was just too expensive considering all the other things we need.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 12:28AM
More Discussions
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
Electrolux new updated LOGO 2015
Electrolux is updating their LOGO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWQYZ_oWCp0...
georgect
Another Which Brand to I Buy Thread...
Hello, this is my first post on GW. Although I have...
Stacy T
How to RePosition Side by Side Washer & Dryer to Stackable position?
Greetings! We are moving into a home where the only...
gem57
Goodbye Kenmore HE2T/Whirlpool Sport, I hate you!
Im so done with this piece of junk washing machine....
Mark
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™