QUIET stackable washer/dryer for 2nd floor?

overhearOctober 24, 2011

I was thrilled when our architect found an extra few inches so that I can install a full-size stackable washer/dryer in our 2nd floor hallway closet.

Now I'm just overwhelmed by all the info in the forum posts. From what I've read the manufacturers seem to still be benefiting from brand-loyalty they cultivated way-back-when when the machines were built to last decades.

But unfortunately for those of us who are buying in 2011, it's a confusing world. I started thinking Whirlpool Duet, then read bad reviews here and went on to Bosch -- until I saw that Consumer Reports panned the 300 for noise/vibration problems -- not good for a 2nd floor closet.

People seem gaga for the Mieles, but they don't carry a full-size stackable unit so I don't have to lose sleep over whether the extra $$$ would be worthwhile.

So, what to do? Can anyone recommend a full-size stackable unit that is *quiet* and reliable. I don't mind paying a little bit more for quality and reliability, but I don't need anything fancy or lots of different options and settings.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bernise6

Given your requirements, I would go with a Speed Queen set.

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 7:17AM
clubcracker

I thought I read that speed queen was not good for 2nd floors/upper floors? I am in the same situation as op so will watch this with interest. I don't have budget for miele am considerIng Bosch LG and ???

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 8:02AM
overhear

I might be putting too much stock in Consumer Reports, but their ratings for the Speed Queen models (Speed Queen AFB50R and AFN50R) for noise and vibration were very low. Do people have experiences to the contrary?

Any other models that might fill the bill?

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 8:47AM
mrb627

The Speed Queen machines are very nice. But quietness isn't something that concerned Speed Queen when they designed these machines for the commercial market. I have a set and they are about as quiet as the LG's they replaced.

MRB

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 10:31AM
njannrosen

I have a second floor laundry closet and own Whirlpool Duet w/d. They are extremely quiet and when I close the door you cannot hear them in the next room. As for reliability, I've had them for 5 years without a service call. I would recommend them based on my experience.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 6:05PM
Aynb

I second the whrilpool duet w/d in second floor. we have the same and the noise level is manageable. The only issue i had was carried over from the old owner so may be user related. Other then that whoever see this w/d loves it.

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 3:21PM
scotkight

The biggest problem you may or may not have is the construction of your home. There is always going to be some vibration from a stacked set, much less a regular side by side. If everything is very solid, you are probably ok but if the structure is at all bouncy it will translate into the walls and be loud.

There are any number of things you can do, and there are any number of options for washers but the structure will be the limiting factor.

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 4:33PM
remodelzombie

Check out stackable Samsung with VRT (Vibration Reduction Technology).

Here is a link that might be useful: Samsung VRT

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 9:22PM
JeremyStanton

Although there are many bad reviews around the web, my personal experience in a similar situation had led me to purchase a Whirlpool Duet. While there are a lot of bad things said about this unit, I have had mine for a good 3 years without any real problems. Also, I find it to be a very quiet unit overall - perfect for a hall closet in my opinion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stackable Washer Dryer

Bookmark   December 31, 2011 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
The perfect appliance? (survey)
Hi everyone! Whether for kitchen, laundry appliances...
hainnovation
Persil at Walmart!
I was looking through the walmart flyer and I saw that...
andi2928
Stack Washer & Dryer to make room for Utility Tub?
Hi All! I have a very small main floor laundry "closet"...
Catie R
Laundry room reveal
We just updated our laundry/mud room after years of...
kooopons
Eco Nuts Laundry Detergent
Has anyone here used these before. Saw them on Shark...
brentb21
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™