led bars/led strips or t4 fluorescents ?

EATREALFOODJune 2, 2012

I was all set on using Philips eW Powercore for UCL & possibly fluorescents for cove lighting...until I received the estimate. I knew Philips were expensive. Since I have some other electrical work to do I may reconsider. The electrician suggested Hitlights double density LED strips mounted in a protective plastic box/tube. Is anyone familiar with this product ? I need task lighting, ambient lighting is secondary.

2 runs of 7ft each

UCL price breakdown mat. & labor:

1) T4 Slim Fluorescents no dimmer-UCL & cove $1500.

2) HitLights LED double density LED strips no dimmer UCL & cove $1700.

3) UCL Philips Powercore on dimmer :$1800 & cove lights(I think fluorescent) $600 no dimmer

$3500 total using UCL Philips & cove fluorescents

$2725 total using UCL & cove fluorescents

$2900 total using UCL & cove LED strips

(Total price incl. installation of 2 dimmers for pendant lights & a fan, add GFI outlets, DW outlet,move switch box, install fan)

Better to stay w/ direct wire fluorescents since they are easy install and cost effective ? Also they would be easy to swap out later for LED bars.

Thank you for your opinions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
attofarad

I am using LED strip lights for my cove lighting (40 feet in the kitchen and 56 feet in the living room). I am probably going to use the single density (18 3528 LEDs per foot, about $1 per foot), and two strips -- cheaper than one double-density strip. Similar cheap supplier to Hitlights, LEDwholesalers.com. I'm using a Magnitude 150W dc transformer for the kitchen, and a Technomagnet 300W one for the living room, and magnetic low-voltage dimmers. I'm using the Lutron MFRD-6ND-120 dimmer, which is pricey, but it allows dimming from multiple locations, as well as by RF remote.

I didn't have the time/energy to find a cheap LED solution for undercounter, so I am using hardwired GE fluorescent lights, which are approximately $20 per foot.

No idea what my contractor is charging for install. I'll be doing the LED strip install, but he will wire up the 3-way dimmers to the transformers and run the low voltage wires to the coves, and the 120V for the UCL fluorescents.

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 2:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
EATREALFOOD

Thanks for your input.
I'm going with the double density LED strips from Hit lights. They cost little more than the Fluorescents and I won't need a light rail.

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 10:51AM
More Discussions
Need help with recessed lighting placement
We're working on a total remodel of our kitchen. The...
judydenver
Looking for vendors of outdoor lighting
I am looking for quality outdoor wall lighting . I...
fiftyfab
thoughts on WAC Lighting LEDme Pro Light Bars
title says it all - any feedback on this brand and...
lmgch
is there any solution for this problem?
Have a new ceiling fan in the kitchen which I bought...
springplanter
? Battery operated wall sconces and pic lighting
-Old plaster home w/lots of old wiring prevents us...
jejvtr
Sponsored Products
Starfish Salad Tong Set
$19.99 | zulily
Leucos | Nia 12S Suspension Light
YLighting
Eglo Nibbia White Mini-Pendant
$68.40 | LuxeDecor
Bath Authority DreamLine Visions Frameless Sliding Shower Door, Single Threshold
Modern Bathroom
Ashington Chandelier
$1,995.00 | Horchow
Virtu UM-3053-GR-001 59 Enya Grey Double Sink Bathroom Vanity
Blue Bath
Possini Euro Striped LED 27 1/2" Wide 3-Light Bath Fixture
Euro Style Lighting
KALCO Lighting 4755GW/CALC Napa Golden Wheat 3 Light Chandelier
Littman Bros Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™