Outdoor hanging light size? Help!

twolabsMay 17, 2010

We are building a house and ordered most of our light fixtures online. Everything turned out great, except our outdoor hanging pendant (on front porch) is HUGE. I just attentive enough to read the measurements and see if it would look.

We have an 8 foot wood door and 11 foot ceiling on the front porch. The one we originally ordered was 28" tall and 14" wide...its looks like an oversize street lamp. Is there a general rule of thumb for size of the front porch hanging light? Certain number of inches tall per feet of ceiling height?

We really like this light, and they have a smaller one that is 24 inches tall and 12.5 inches wide, but we're still afraid it'll be too large.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brookelizabeth

You made me laugh which is rare while building! Why not go to a big box store and see what a light that size would look like? I think the smaller might still be too large.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 8:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tabbaldwin

Thank you for posting this question because it made me examine my choice for front porch lighting! I assumed because of our tall ceilings in the house that the front porch would accommodate a hanging fixture--not so. Front porch was over-looked by me on my visits to the house because the steps weren't in yet, and so we always accessed the house via the garage doors. And when there, there's just so much to take in that it's easy for some things to get over-looked.

Anyway, you saved me! My order was about to be placed (finalized tomorrow), and I had to change to a flush-mount light for it to look right on the front porch.

Good luck with your decision.
Tracey

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
Lighting for small walk in closet
Hello, We are about ready to build our master closet....
Anthony
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
Do LED lights put out enough light
I am looking at Moooi Raimond chandeliers. According...
mrsargent
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
valpogal47
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™