Drying hand wash

sjhockeyfan325January 16, 2014

I know this isn't a decorating issue, but there's so much activity on this forum, and you all have such great ideas, I thought it would be a good place to ask (as a followup to the thread about the hanging drying rack).

How do you all dry those items that say "lay flat to dry" (such as sweaters)? I used to have a 3-tier mesh rack (all 3 tiers were mesh) but I can't find that, so I've had to resort to laying the sweaters on towels on the bathroom floor, which I hate to do.

We have a very small laundry closet. Big enough for our stacked washer and dryer, a set of 30" wide shelves next to it, and room for brooms and mops -- the whole thing measures about 6'+ x 4-1/2'+. Ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luckygal

I have 3 guest bedrooms so often use the Queen beds in one or 2 of the rooms and lay delicates on towels on the beds. When I return from traveling often need to wash enough items to fill those beds. I also have a large folding drying rack altho like to dry many items flat.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 12:48PM
Fun2BHere

Have you seen these mesh racks? You can stack as many as you want.
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/oxo-stackable-mesh-drying-rack/s109627?a=1552&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CNKk9bukg7wCFSEV7Aod_DkASg

Here is a link that might be useful: Stackable Mesh Racks

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 1:07PM
Olychick

I have the stacking ones (which are a PITA because they easily come apart) and also some collapsible round ones that fit in the tub. I can't find any round ones like mine to link, but I found these while searching...if you have a shower curtain rod you could use.

This would be great if you could put a hook in the ceiling above a tub or shower:

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay links

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 2:13PM
erinsean

I lay my sweaters flat on top of the dryer....the warmth of drying the rest of the clothes almost dries the sweaters....by evening they are ready to fold or hang. If I have two sweaters to lay flat....the second one goes on top of the washer or on the kitchen counter under the warm lights.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 2:20PM
sjhockeyfan325

I like that one that is hung on the shower rod - that might work. I thought I might be able to work with the stackable ones, but if they 'come apart' I'd just get really annoyed :-)

grandma, I can't lay anything on the dryer because it's a stacked unit.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 3:03PM
outsideplaying_gw

I have a wooden folding drying rack in my utility room. Have had it for years but I think I bought it at Target or Wal-Mart or some such place. Maybe even Home Depot I don't remember. But about a year ago I bought a wall-mounted one because DH got tired of the one on the floor all the time. I bought it from Ballard Designs. It is the medium sized one, and I saw last night that it is on sale. The accordion rack folds in toward the wall and there are 4 (I think) hooks for hanging small items or something on a hangar.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 3:17PM
sjhockeyfan325

outside playing, I'm also going to get a folding hanger thingie to hang things that don't have to "lay flat to dry", but I don't like to hang sweaters, thus I was looking for mesh "shelves". I ended up buying the first of olychick's two pictures - got a good deal on ebay. If it works, great. If not, I'm not out that much!

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 3:41PM
outsideplaying_gw

That is pretty cool. I just dry mine 'mostly flat', lol. Drape it across the top of the rack on a towel. I don't have that many bulky sweaters so it works out ok for me. I tried one of those big square things once and didn't use it at all. Too bulky.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 4:53PM
debrak2008

I lay towels on my chest freezer and put things on it. Its next to the dry so convenient.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 8:13PM
oakleyok

I stopped laying things flat to dry. No matter the material, I put the clothing in the dryer on low or air and let it fluff up a bit, then hang on a good hanger which won't leave shoulder marks. No shrinkage, and best of all, no ironing!

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 8:58PM
ratherbesewing

I am not a huge fan of the dryer, so I often air dry tops of mine and my husbands (golf shirts). First, IF I hand wash, I throw the items on the "spin" cycle for a few minutes to squeeze out the excess water. Then, I lay the item on top of an empty plastic laundry basket. I fold the arms of the item back over the front so nothing is touching the floor.This method allows air flow all around the item and I think, allows them to dry faster. I move the laundry basket to the sunny areas if I am in a hurry. Hope this description is clear.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 6:20AM
ratherbesewing

I also use this little hanging thing from IKEA.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
Help with floor plan - change keeping room to kitchen or dining?
I'd appreciate feedback on my modifications to the...
juddgirl2
Front door color advice
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
This is why you don't pick paint colours off the internet
This photo has been circulating the internet today....
amberm145
Help! Living room paint colors!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
Are cordless roller shades practical with a large picture window?
Hi all! I plan to replace my windows and doors this...
valpogal47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™