Recessed lights in kitchen - how far out from wall?

Kristen HallockMay 28, 2013

I read another thread that said to put recessed lights 24" - 30" from wall on center. my current lights are about 19" from the wall on center.

My problem is that on my L-shaped kitchen, on the wall here the joists run parallel, I would have to have the 6" cans either 21.5" or 31.5" from the wall on-center. There is a ceiling joist that runs right thru the prime zone for the lights. So what is the preferable position?

My lights are 6" cans nd I bought the Cree CR6s to put inside them. We will have under cabinet LED lighting.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SparklingWater

Hi khallock. Real lighting novice here, just thought I'd share our recessed lights were installed today at 30" wall on-center, not 24". We will have upper cabinets. My GC feels 30" is better for light diffusion, including of the uppers and path through the kitchen. We will have good quality task lighting in the form of under-cabinet lighting as yourself.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 8:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pumpkinhouse

Recessed lights should be based on location of countertop edge. In reflected ceiling plan, the light should go no further from wall than the edge of the counter. The reason being, you don't want your head to get in the way and create shadows on what you are doing at the counter.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Kitchen light fixture inadequate.
I love school lights but I need at least 400 watts...
Anne Jones
Which would you pick for an LED step light / night light
We are in the rough-in stage of our new build, and...
Sun43
Dining Room Lighting - Pendant too large?
I would like to remove my 6-globe chandelier and replace...
cubby325
Do LED lights put out enough light
I am looking at Moooi Raimond chandeliers. According...
mrsargent
Better to over illuminate living room but add a dimmer?
187 square foot living room. electrician wants to install...
evanderleeuw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™