light fixture over kitchen table off-center

nccmamaMay 7, 2007

The hanging light fixture that is in my breakfast nook is off center. I guess that the builder found this particular spot to be the easiest place from which to hang a light, but it is definately and very obviously not over the center of where the table must go. What can I do remedy this problem? The guys at Home Depot told me to get a hook and swag the chain over to where it should be hung from, which is about 5 inches over. But isn't this kind of tacky? And, I really don't want to hire an electrician and mess up my ceiling and have to repaint it.

The light is a beautiful hand made Italian piece that I scored at a close out place for cheap. It's wonderful, and I hate to do it such an injustice by hanging it wrong. Do you think that I could cover up the hook and original ceiling plate by constructing a sort of decorative box with crown molding and faux bronzed tin ceiling panels? Any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ilitem

If the fixture does not weigh over 25 pounds, you could purchase a 2' piece of track and an end feed along with a pendant adaptor. The track would run from the box to where you need the fixture to hang (the track can be cut) and you would wire the fixture to the adaptor. This has been done many times. If you don't like the idea of the hook, but it is the easiest, you can get a cord cover which is sold in lighting showrooms that matches the colors in the fixture and just put that over the chain and hook, then extend it over to where the box is.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   May 8, 2007 at 3:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmlove

We had to do the hook/swag thing with our island light, and once you do it, you don't even notice.

Bookmark   May 8, 2007 at 7:49PM
More Discussions
Which would you pick for an LED step light / night light
We are in the rough-in stage of our new build, and...
Sun43
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
Help with different types of LED recessed lighting please!
Can someone explain the basic differences in the different...
Michelle
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
Brightest Longest Lasting Outdoor Flood Light?
Hey I'm looking for suggestions for outdoor flood lights...
rph1234
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™