Help me pick flush-mounts that don't need a bra.

andaleeMay 19, 2012

Well, looking at it now, we probably should hace installed cans . . . but the pine ceiling is in, and it is what it is. I've attached a photo, so you can see what I'm working with. The ceiling goes from 11' at the peak to 7' just over the windows. The positions of the light boxes looks wonky in this photo, just due to the angle. Trust me that they make sense when you're there, k? ;o)

I'm thinking short pendants over the counter by the windows, matching pendants over the peninsula, and I'm not sure what to do for the walkway and in front of the fridge. It's such a small space (and I have a big pantry) that I'm not going to do upper cabs . . . so maybe a short pendant would be good over the fridge, too. Maybe some kind of flushmounts for the walkway . . . but they need to be small, and NOT boob lights. (DH just hates 'em. lol I don't blame him.)

Soooo . . . ideas? I like to keep it below $50 for flushmounts, and the pendants kind of depend. I need to be as frugal as possible, but I still want it to look good, and work well. This is a farmhouse (well, the carriage house that belongs to a farmhouse), so I'd love to keep things farmhouse/schoolhouse/etc. I'm hoping I can find a mix&match pendant at a big box that I like, so I can put a little more towards flushmounts. I love a few things from Restoration Hardware, but . . . well. I'd like to be able to put in trim and kitchen cabinets, too, ya know? ;o)

I don't expect anyone to go hunting around for me; I just hope that some of you have seen things that might work here, and will chime in.

Thanks so much for the ideas, everyone!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lee676

don't really have any good suggestions (beyond that non-hanging surface mount ceiling fixtures rarely look good on a sloped ceiling); just LOLling out loud at your thread title....

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 3:47AM
andalee

Glad to make you smile. :o)

I've found some pendants I really like:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100469609&R=100469609

And some that I could spray paint silver or ORB that would work alright (although I'd need to see them IRL first):

http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&productId=3513758&cId=

So now I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the walkway lights. We didn't put cans in because we were worried about using LED lighting in recessed fixtures . . . but I wonder if that was really necessary. We'll see . . . I might stop by the local lighting shop (even though I think I scared them the last time I was in there--but that was a decade ago, so maybe I'll give them another chance), and see what they have to say.

Thanks!

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 10:56AM
andalee

I think I've hit on it: track lighting.

I know, I know. There are some funny things about track lighting, but I think it will really work. It can provide good ambient light for traffic (and there's a lot of traffic with sixteen feet running around the house); I can use a couple of them for task lighting for the pantry closet, wood stove corner, etc.; and it will put out a generous amount of light.

Now, to find something that will take LED bulbs, and be scaled small enough to not overwhelm the space . . .

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 9:01PM
lee676

There are lots of track lights that use MR16's (small reflector bulbs just over an inch in diameter), and there are finally some bright, high-CRI LED MR16s available.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 3:44AM
More Discussions
Quality of LED fixtures from different manufacturers
Hello! Does anyone know how LED light fixtures from...
linae
how many lamps in a bathroom heat lamp?
Bathroom is about 140sq5 ft. What do you'll think?...
growingadvice
i found this on ebay
its a led strap very nice anf beautiful Specifications: Ø...
Ran Peretz
My stairwell will be my photography gallery
I am going hang my photographs almost all the way to...
Gary Conrad
Rosette on slanted dining room ceiling?
Moved into a resale which has a dining room fixture...
Barb P
Sponsored Products
Piper Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Hubbardton Forge ADA Compliant Vertical Cherry Sconce
Lamps Plus
Eurofase New Construction Recessed Light Triple Plate
Euro Style Lighting
Satin Nickel Sponge/Bottle Holder
TheBathOutlet
Twisted Spiral Antique Silver 28-inch to 48-inch Double Curtain Rod
$59.95 | Bellacor