Pendant Light Placement Over Island

hatman52May 19, 2007

What's the "right" (okay, generally accepted) way to place pendant lights over a two-tiered island? Do you center them front to back over the main work surface (24" deep cabinets with a 1 1/2" counter overhang), or center them front to back over the entire island, which includes the main counter and the raised eating counter?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remodeler_matt

Depends. If the lights are for specific tasks, such as illuminating a work area, it should be as close to directly above the work surface as possible. An eating area does not need such direct light, so I would tend to make sure you have sufficient light on the areas where you will be working -- food prep, cooking, etc. -- and not worry too much about the eating area. If they are dim-able (which I highly recommend) I bet you find you will turn the lights up for cooking, and down for eating.

On the other hand, if you don't plan to use the counter top as a work area, I'd probably center the lights on the overall structure, as I think that would look better.

Don't worry about what's "generally accepted." If you like how it looks and works, it's good.

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
looking for some direction choosing leds for family room
I want to add some recessed led lights to the family...
gwald
Sylvania vs. EcoSmart retrofit
I have seen these two brands compared many times with...
linae
New kitchen lights - regular cans with retrofIt LED kit or LED cans?
Frankly, I don't know what "LED cans" look...
linae
Do LED lights put out enough light
I am looking at Moooi Raimond chandeliers. According...
mrsargent
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™