Nora recessed LEDs

katkatfMay 16, 2011

I'm getting ready to do a kitchen remodel in CA with a permit, so Title 24 matters.

My electrician is suggesting Nora recessed lighting. I asked re: Cree - the lighting distributor says right now, Cree has the best LED chip, and most lighting manufacturers use it. He's saying the Nora 6" (NLEDC-66230WW) and the Nora 5" (NLEDC-56230WW) are as good as the LR6. The Nora choices cost $84.75 per light (housing plus trim), the Cree LR6 costs $100.16.

Anybody know whether Nora does use the Cree chip and/or why I would want to pay $15 more for the Cree?

TIA.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

I don't have any experience with the Nora choices, but looking at the specifications, it seems that the LED chips may not be the same.

You can get LR6 units for ~ 79.95 online.

The LR6 also comes with the trim.

Here is a link that might be useful: polar-ray

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 4:12PM
katkatf

Thanks, David, I chickened out on the Nora cuz I couldn't find really anything anywhere about them. I'm working to make a Title 24 solution work with CR6's with GU24 bases. It's been quite a runaround finding a way to do it without special ordering, but I think I got it figured. It's surprising to me that here in CA there's no place I can find locally that has the GU24 solution in stock.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 3:42PM
David

You're welcomed.
Have you tried polar-ray.com?

Here is a link that might be useful: polar-ray

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 8:26PM
katkatf

I did find several places on line that have the CR6 and compatible housings; I'll add polar-ray.com to the mix when it's time to order.

David, I really appreciate your willingness to help - not just me - I see you all over this forum!!!

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 9:39PM
triphaseelectric

The Nora uses the higher end Cree dimming chip and driver set up. It's a much better light than the lr6. The lr6 is problematic.

Mike

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 3:21PM
wws944

Katkatf: Every Home Depot stocks the CR6 with the GU24 base.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 5:54PM
calumin

wws944 - yes but they don't sell compatible GU24 housing, which is why HD salespeople tend to recommend the integrated kits instead of Cree / EcoSmart.

It's possible to find locally, but easier to buy online using any of the compatible housing that people have found on other threads.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 6:34PM
More Discussions
looking for some direction choosing leds for family room
I want to add some recessed led lights to the family...
gwald
Outdoor pendant lights for tree
I'm looking to recreate something like this installation...
jamescmeehan
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
New kitchen lights - regular cans with retrofIt LED kit or LED cans?
Frankly, I don't know what "LED cans" look...
linae
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™