Which new cans for old Lightolier track?

saydeMay 5, 2010

We put up Lightolier tracks (dual circuit) in the kitchen circa 1978. We are now redoing the kitchen. Plan to keep the tracks if possible but would like smaller cans that are more energy efficient. So (1) will new Lightolier cans work on my 32 year old tracks (2) which cans should I use? I want focused light, therefore like the cans and don't want pendants. Currently have big cans with incandescent spots. Don't know if I should be looking at LED or halogen or ?????? Would appreciate guidance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
galleycook

Can't speak to whether or not you can use your old tracks. We have a Lightolier track in our kitchen with focused halogen light. Love it. DH and I installed it ourselves to a junction box that had held an incandescent fixture. I think that the lights themselves contain transformers for the low voltage halogens (dealer could tell you.) Track and canopy was the cheapest part of the purchase (in case cost considerations are driving your desire to keep your existing track.) Link below shows the lights we installed. HTH.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lightolier lights

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 7:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
normclc

your old track will take any of the current Lightolier track heads.
I woulod reccommend using a MR16 head,which would come with their own transformer.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
progressnerd
Accent Eyeball lighting for Artwork
Any recommendations for size and type of eyeball light?...
lake72
Has Anything Changed In Recessed LCD Lighting Since 2012?!?
GW, Hello everyone! Just wanted to say that this is...
AndrewDK
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™