LED Cans on High Ceiling

judi82May 28, 2010

I am planning a kitchen remodel and will be raising an 8 foot drop ceiling to 9 1/2 feet. I have an open floor plan where the dining area and the kitchen are basically one room. There are no windows in the kitchen, just in the dining area.

I am receiving mixed messages from lighting stores and kitchen designers about the ability of 6" LED recessed cans to adequately light the kitchen area, given that the ceiling will be 9 1/2 feet high. In addition, one store salesperson told me that I should put a 4" LED can over the sink so that the light would be more focused. I am planning LED uplights on the upper cabinets and LED lights under the cabinets.

I am so confused about what I need. Any suggestions as to a logical way to proceed with this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lightguy

9.5' is no problem. We've designed the LR6 in 10' ceilings. We have also used a 4" downlight with a 950 lumen output in even higher ceilings.

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 7:48PM
David

There should not be any issues. In fact, the LR6 produces more light than the equivalent CFL/ incandescent can.

I was pleasantly surprised that the net result was much better than the old "fluorescent light bomb" recessed box and cans that I had fitted screw in CFLs before.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 1:43AM
judi82

Thank you David and Lightguy. I feel better about my plan. I just came back from looking at the LR6. It looks great, and the price is right. I only wish that it came in 3000 klevin. 3500 K seems like it will be a little too cool. I guess that is because I am accustomed to incandescent.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 5:39PM
compumom

I can't comment on your original question,but do want to suggest that you definitely add a can directly over the sink. We have one, but it's on a separate switch and we miss too much dirt on the dishes if we don't use it!

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 5:40PM
lightguy

Judi- I agree, the 3500k is too cool. At least in my opinion. The 2700 is quite nice. Although if it were up to me I'd pick 3000k as well.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 6:40PM
judi82

I agree with compumom that a can directly over the sink is a must.

I am leaning towards CREE recessed cans which means that 3000 K is not an option. But I do have two questions: What is the advantage of CR6 vs. LR6? According to CREE's website, the only difference I can see is that the CR6 dims to 5% with a standard incandescent dimmer vs. 20% for the LR6. A salesperson has told me, however, that I can get the LR6 down to 5% by purchasing an expensive dimmer.

Also, the LR6 produces 62 per lumens per watt and the CR6 produces 55 lumens per watt, meaning, I think, that the CR6 is not as bright as the LR6. Is that right?

Finally, does it matter what housing the CREE goes into? The lighting store I visited yesterday recommended a Juno housing.

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 4:46PM
David

The main advantage is price.

I would trust the manufacturer's specifications rather than the sales person.

The older LR6 specification had the light output @ 54 lumens/ watt.

I would wait for the CR6 to appear on the shelves first before comparing, but I don't think the difference would be noticable.

The CREE lights can go into most cans.

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 5:36PM
judi82

Good advice! Thanks, David.

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 3:14PM
srg215

we are doing 2700 kelvin cree lr6 throughout our house. why would a 3000 kelvin be better? we like a warm light.

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 9:44PM
lightguy

It's personal preference. Cree doesn't have a 3000K unit anyway.
I prefer 3000K as it's closer to halogen. But this isn't a right or wrong question. If you like 2700K, go for it.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
Recessed Surface lights vs. Cans
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between...
linae
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
Need advice regarding Halo LED recessed lights!
So, our new house is almost finished - it's our first...
Nick Anderson
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™