Dimmers for Kitchen? Humming prob?

maruhaMay 22, 2011

I am planning on having 4 recessed cans, 2 pendants over the island, undercabinet lights and one over sink light (not sure yet if can or fixture.)

I'd really like everything to be on dimmers, but my GC says there can be problems with humming. I have heard that if you have the right dimmer for the type of light, it's not a problem.

I'd like to have all of the lights controlled at one or two main locations, but do I need to have different kinds of dimmers for each kind of light? Advice on the best type of lights to use so that this coordinates somewhat simply?

Thank you!

Here's my floor plan:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

Incandescent dimmers cannot be used with CFLs or low voltage lighting. Those will need to be matched with the lighting requirements.

Most LED lights can be used with incandescent dimmers but tend to be pricier than CFLs.

Steer away from rehostatic dimmers as they will dissipate quite a bit of energy as heat.

Your GC should have an electrician on staff to figure out things.

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 6:41PM
triphase

Electronic low voltage diva and maestro dimmers from Lutron that use the neutral will not hum or flash on any dimmable cfl's or LED's or low voltage halogen lights. Get these dimmers and you won't have any issues.

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 12:55PM
brickeyee

"Incandescent dimmers cannot be used with CFLs or low voltage lighting."

Not true for many low voltage lights.
If you use low voltage lighting that has 'electronic' transoceanic many of them will operable from a conventional Triac dimmer just fine.

It is very hard (even with deeming ballasts) to operate discharge lighting (and florescent is discharge lighting) at ANY setting except full on.

"Those will need to be matched with the lighting requirements."

You need to look at the manufacture's recommendations.

"Steer away from rehostatic dimmers as they will dissipate quite a bit of energy as heat."

No one has used rheostats for deeming in a LONG time.
There power dissipation approaches the power dissipation of the light at low settings.
Even stage equipment switched to autotransformers many years ago (and now is mostly electronic Triac).

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Davidtay/Others - Recommended efficient T8 bulbs?
I'm hoping that davidtay will see this but would welcome...
oldbat2be
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™