size/type of recessed lighting in CA kitchen

kjheckMay 10, 2013

We removed an old fluorescent lightbox from our kitchen and want to replace it with recessed LED lighting. I like the look of the 4" cans but someone told me that the code in CA is 5" or 6" cans. If I go with the 5" cans can I use the CREE bulbs that I've read are the best. Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

No, you cannot use a Cree "bulb" that I know of in a 5" can.

There is no code that says you cannot use a 4" can. I like the look of 4" better, but I cheaped out and used 6" in my remodel. There are also more choices (perhaps) in 6" LED.

Whatever type of can you use in the kitchen, it cannot have a screw-in type (Edison) socket. Unless you are skipping inspections, in which case you can use whatever you like.

    Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 9:45PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Accent Eyeball lighting for Artwork
Any recommendations for size and type of eyeball light?...
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Brightest Longest Lasting Outdoor Flood Light?
Hey I'm looking for suggestions for outdoor flood lights...
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™