Help..Vaulted Ceiling Chandelier Before It Comes Crashing Down!!

rsvlle-njMay 30, 2009

Hi,

If anyone has any experience with hanging a chandelier, I have a problem that I could use some help with. My ceiling is vaulted to about l8 feet and the chandelier is at the 14 foot mark. The chandelier weighs approximately 70lbs and the electrician changed out the box to the proper weighted box. After hanging the chandelier yesterday, last nite I noticed that the top finial loop seemed to have moved away from the ceiling about an 1/8th to a 1/4 inch. The canopy did not move, just this loop...it's actually the part that the chandelier chain hangs from and screws into the crossbar. The electrician came back over today and said that this is not unusual because of the vault...the chandelier moved to find it's center and he reassured me that it "will not come down". He also said that the crossbar is secured soundly and that nothing would have bent up inside the box. It doesn't sound exactly "kosher" to me, but, then again I'm not an electrician.

If anyone can shed any light on this (no pun intended) I would really, really appreciate it.

I'm slightly nervous that this thing is going to come crashing down and kill someone.

Thanks....Barbara

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
normclc

I think that you're okay.
If the top finiale is attached to the crossbar with a piece of threaded tube , and they are secure, you can relax.
But , you are right in doubting the electrician's statement that the sloped ceiling has something to do with it.
If the box has been re-enforced to take that weight
,it's not going to come down

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 5:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rsvlle-nj

Thanks NormClc,

The electrician came back over on Monday and worked on the chandelier. Because of not being able to use a spreader type box, the box that was installed on Friday was replaced with another heavier one and a different bracket to attach it to the joist. This one seems to be fine and the fixture has stayed in place.

Again, thanks.

Barb

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 7:18PM
More Discussions
Pendant light shades
Hi! New to the forum- don't know what took me so many...
chelseahasrouni
Looking for vendors of outdoor lighting
I am looking for quality outdoor wall lighting . I...
fiftyfab
? Battery operated wall sconces and pic lighting
-Old plaster home w/lots of old wiring prevents us...
jejvtr
Legacy Debut Kitchen Cabinet -designer construction
Hi, Does anyone have any feedback on this cabinet...
Lisa Smith
What light would look nice over the sink?
Hi, I'm stumped trying to find a pendant light to go...
sweetoo
Sponsored Products
Hinkley Lighting | Casa 4018 Chandelier
$849.00 | YLighting
Freedom Step Stool
$7.99 | zulily
Americana Antique Bronze Three-Light Chandelierwith Ivory Finish Candle Sleeves
$113.94 | Bellacor
Elba 12 Light Candle Chandelier
$1,295.80 | Bludot
Quorum International 6195-5-38 Coronado Gilded Bronze 5 Lt Chandelier
Littman Bros Lighting