bedside lights (hard wired)

remodel-mamaMay 14, 2010

Hi all,

We are remodeling our master bedroom (adding a master bathroom). Since the walls are open and we are doing electrical we thought we would put in bedside lights on the wall on either side of the bed.

I started looking online for fixtures and was surprised to find that a lot of the hard wired bedside wall lamps are pretty expensive - $300 and even $400. I also didn't find much in terms of style that I liked. There seemed to be more options in terms of style and price range in plug-in bedside lamps.

Does anyone out there have hard wired bedside lamps that you are happy with that we more in the $100-$200 range? Or maybe someone can point me to a good source for wall lamps?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
housavvy

Here's a good source of Swing Arm wall lamps

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 8:15PM
gma_j

I've been looking for the same thing so will be watching this post.
What kind of lighting is best for a reading light which is what I would be doing with out bedside swingarms?

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 1:34AM
arkansasfarmchick

why can't you just hardwire your plug-ins for your bedside table lamps? My parents did that in their re-model and it is really cool. Same effect, much cheaper.

Vonda

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 2:46PM
azlighting

Any wall mounted sconce(think hall fixtures) will suffice as well.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 1:33AM
mamacotti

In our last house we had 4 plug outlets put on both sides of our bed, The top corner plug wired to a lightswitch on either side. So to turn it off or on, just hit the switch instead of messing with the lamp. We loved it.

The plan was to find wall-mounted lamps, but everything I found was too flimsy, not enough wattage, etc. Or WAY TOO expensive. So I bought pretty matching lamps, 3-way, 150wts. This turned out to be our best choice because you can move it around better and get the light you need. Also, my husband wanted his light higher, so his lamp was placed on a few large books.

You can't get that kind of versitility with too many sconces or wall lamps!

And when the mood hits you to change things up, you just unplug, remove and replace vs. all the hard-wiring.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 8:10PM
larry113

Try amazon or your local store

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 10:51PM
Moccasin

This is at Lamps Plus. It can be converted to hardwire, or left as a plug in. It is a dimmable lamp.

I cannot find the info right now on the similar lamps I bought which had a diffuser across the bottom so it would not let glare bother anyone. And there was a hi/lo switch, not a full range dimmable switch like this one.

Anyway, I liked it because we had fairly high posts on our bed, and the swing arms could be adjusted to avoid those posts. The diffuser allowed the light to shine up more than down, and it also made the light good for reading in bed.

Here is a link that might be useful: swing arm dimmable wall lamp

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 4:50PM
dakota01

I'm not big on the swing arm lamps - so I went with small recessed lights (2) above my bed with the switch bedside the bed. I figure I can put a dimmer on them so I can read or "set the mood"..haha

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
progressnerd
Pixi Lighting
Has anyone used the pixi lighting yet? It seems like...
stlblufan
Davidtay/Others - Recommended efficient T8 bulbs?
I'm hoping that davidtay will see this but would welcome...
oldbat2be
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
Recessed lighting - Remodel (yes/no) LED Can and Trim/Engine (model)
Hi, I want to install recessed lighting in my house...
firsthome_sfh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™