What is going on with this socket?

buddyboyincMay 9, 2010

This is a light fixture on the bottom of a ceiling fan in my girlfriend's apartment. I wasn't able to screw a light bulb into the socket, so at first I thought a bulb might have broken off in the socket, but after a closer look, I think that is not the case, and the socket is fine. However, I just cannot screw a bulb into the socket. It seems to be just a little too small - which is why I originally thought the silver part was actually part of another bulb that had broken off. Can anyone take a look at these two images of the socket and tell me if you see anything wrong? There appears to be a gray cardboard or fiber washer in the middle of the socket. I'm guessing that is just there to insulate the two contacts of the socket from each other.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/4187/socket2.jpg

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4788/socket1.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lee676

It looks to me like it takes either a bayonet-type bulb or something smaller than the standard Edison-type threads. The tab in the middle of the hole leads me to believe there isn't a base of a broken light bulb stuck in there.

A picture taken at a 45-degree angle would help

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 7:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buddyboyinc

I think I figured it out. It probably takes an E11 (mini candelabra) halogen bulb. That makes sense from both the size (1mm smaller than E12) and shape (recessed middle contact that would take a small pointy base to reach it).

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
recessed lighting suggestions
I'm having recessed lights installed in two rooms this...
evanderleeuw
Bulkhead pots in teeny bathroom
I'm so not a lighting expert! What's the forum members'...
Studio Design
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
valpogal47
Do LED lights put out enough light
I am looking at Moooi Raimond chandeliers. According...
mrsargent
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™