Hate new Energy Star CFL lights

kathy_aMay 14, 2011

As part of an energy conservation subsidy, we replaced 4 ceiling lights with Energy Star lights. We got ceiling work done at the same time and so we weren't at home when the lights were installed. The contractor installed them and threw away the boxes and then we saw them and hated them.

Anyway, I'll include a link to the lights we got. They are insanely bright - you could perform surgery under them. The light they give off is ugly, too. I honestly don't want to turn them on and just use lamps.

The contractor suggested taking out one of the bulbs, but I'm not sure that's enough. We got LED cans put in our living room where there was already recessed lighting. That light looks better and it is dimmable.

What would you do? I hate spending too much because I'm not sure yet if we will be able to return the ones we got. LED lights seem promising, but there are hardly any fixtures out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lights we got

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzyzx

What color temperature is your preference? Sounds like you are describing cool or bright white lighting color. Maybe you prefer warm (Yellowish) 2700k

Here is a link that might be useful: Color Temperature

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 11:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roadbike

Lets figure out what is causing them to be too bright in that room. What was the wattage and the color temperature of the bulbs he installed. If you don't have the box ask the builder for the information.

The so-called day-light bulbs appear brighter because they are more blue. They are inapropriate for most houses because the light is too harsh.

You have have lights that are simply putting out too many lumens of light. The easiest way to check this is to compare the equivalent wattage to what was in the house before.

The builder may have used bulbs that

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
Recessed Lighting Layout for Kitchen
Hi, everyone. I know this is asked all the time, but...
firefox15
Quality of LED fixtures from different manufacturers
Hello! Does anyone know how LED light fixtures from...
linae
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
Retrofitting off-sized recessed lighting with LEDs-Help?
We are renovating our just-purchased apartment and...
lindy74
Disappointed with my LED recessed lights ... what now?
My LED recessed lights (Cree 6'' 2700K) were installed...
aussies
Sponsored Products
Design House Outdoor Lighting. Madison County White Round Outdoor Downlight
$29.97 | Home Depot
Silva Blown Glass Tech Lighting Mini Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting
Devonshire Black Small One-Light Outdoor Wall Lantern
$31.35 | Bellacor
Modern Linen Shade and Designed Metal Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Missoni Home | Mebera Rug
YLiving.com
Orleans Post Light by Maxim Lighting
$258.00 | Lumens
Fangio Lighting's 30-inch Mercury Glass and Metal Table Lamp with Polished Nicke
Overstock.com
Pristina Collection 17 1/2" Wide Crystal Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™