Are you Happy with your CR-6 lighting?

jcasola5May 13, 2011

Hi. I am about to make a final decision on kitchen lighting and am leaning heavily toward the CR-6s, despite my GC pushing the halogens. I will have 9 of these in my kitchen ceiling, along with 3 pendants (non-LED) and LED UCL.

Any regrets from anyone that has installed the CR-6? Also, did you go for the 2700k or the 3500k? Thx!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lee676

They don't make a 3500K version of the CR6, just 2700. Are you sure you don't mean LR6, which is available in both colors?

I'm in a room illuminated by Cree CR6 lights as I write, and really like them. Excellent color rendering, incredibly efficient and long-lasting, and nice looking (many LED floodlamps look like showerheads and glare in your eyes badly if you look up at them; but these are nicely diffused). The 2700K color looks exactly like incandescent lamps. I also like that they turn on immediately, unlike some LEDs that take a full second to light up.

The CR6 can be dimmed down to 5% (compared to 20% for the more expensive but brighter LR6), but I haven't had a chance to use these in a dimming application. They're not super-bright, but they're equivalent to a common 65w BR30 incandescent floodlamp in brightness. When comparing cost vs. halogen lamps, note that the CR6 and LR6 include their own baffle trim, a $10-$15 item that you'd have to buy separately for each halogen bulb.

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 10:06PM
jcasola5

Thx very much for the response Lee. My mistake on the 3500k point. Glad to hear you like them. Since I first posted this my GC is recommending I go with MR-16 set up for halogen bulbs, and then if I like, I can simply swap out the halogens for LED. This confused me as I thought it was a completely different set up and housing for LED. Now Im wondering if these MR-16 LEDs are as effective? Any thoughts from the pros here?

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 8:07AM
ZacsDaddy

Love ours ... the light tone is beautiful and we can now light our kitchen fully with the less than 1/10 of what we used to use.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 1:08PM
dellayao

I have been using MR16 LED in my kitchen for one year. I think it is effective. And I love warm white, ��cause it feels cozy and comfortable when I am cooking. You may have a try.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 10:05PM
jcasola5

Thx for info and thoughts. I think I'll give the MR-16 LED's a try.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 7:43AM
More Discussions
Alternative to pot/can lights
Spoke to my GC yesterday and he suggested that I use...
abbabug
Do LED lights put out enough light
I am looking at Moooi Raimond chandeliers. According...
mrsargent
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Has Anything Changed In Recessed LCD Lighting Since 2012?!?
GW, Hello everyone! Just wanted to say that this is...
AndrewDK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™