calculating number of fixtures needed

caluminMay 14, 2013

I am putting together my kitchen lighting layout and have seen posts on this forum that talk about ~35 lumens per square foot as a guide to calculate how many fixtures to use.

The question I have is do people just use the advertised lumens on the light, or do they factor in the coefficient of utilization (CU) to determine effective lumens?

For example, I have read that the best coefficient of utilization to use for the Cree LR6 is 0.77. Essentially that means that about 77% of the luminous output of the light effectively hits its surface.

When I factor in the CU, it increases the number of lights I need by about 30%.

Or are there free tools out there which let you model your room layout and and fully calculate fixtures based on the Lumen Method?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

The best tools are still paper and pen/ pencil if you just want to quickly sketch up a layout without having to learn the tools.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 11:04AM
calumin

Thanks davidtay, the main question I have is do you use advertised lumens on the package when calculating lumens / sf, or do you multiply it down by a coefficient of utilization factor (e.g. which I've heard to be 0.77 for LR6 and CR6).

That one calculation changes the number of lights needed by about 30%. Most calculations I've seen on the Internet do include this factor but I haven't seen it discussed here.

I guess the other option would be to just increase the lumens / sq ft target value (which might be what's happening, because I've seen 25-30 lumens / sq ft in other places but have heard 35 lumens / sq ft on this forum).

This post was edited by calumin on Sat, May 18, 13 at 11:19

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 11:16AM
David

I use the advertised lumens. The formula works very well with the CR6/ 4 and RT6 type lights since that is the actual output.

If you have dimmers, the max output is typically reduced by 5%.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
valpogal47
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
New kitchen lights - regular cans with retrofIt LED kit or LED cans?
Frankly, I don't know what "LED cans" look...
linae
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
Sylvania vs. EcoSmart retrofit
I have seen these two brands compared many times with...
linae
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™