Problem with Dryer exhaust

pcthompsonOctober 21, 2012

Our dryer exhaust consists of 6 feet of flexible hose into 16 ft of the 4" green pvc/sewer line. The last foot before the vent is insulated on the outside with duct insulation. There is one elbow where the flexible hose attaches to the PVC. The clothes take forever to dry and when I checked the line it has standing water in it (maybe a 1/4 inch). The pvc pipe is level, and exits through a brick wall, so I cannot really change the slope of the pipe. I also cannot change the venting. It must go down through the flow and out through the basement. I am worried that the distance from the dryer to the outside may be too far. Is there a fix for this problem? Do I need a new dryer with a stronger blower? Do I need to insulate the pvc pipe?

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fahrenheit_451
    Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 1:59PM
mrb627

I just installed a booster fan about 10 days ago. Seems to work quite well. Cuts the drying time down by 25% for most loads.

MRB

Here is a link that might be useful: Tjernlund Products Dryer Duct Booster

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 8:09AM
rogerv_gw

Installing a booster fan will help the drying time. You can see if that also helps with the standing water, it might. If not, I like the idea of insulating the PVC pipe, that should prevent the condensation that you're apparently getting now. Between the two of these things, your venting situation will be fine, I'll bet.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
don't buy a samsung washer or dryer
I am in the market for a new set so I called my trusty...
monaw
Laundry room reveal
We just updated our laundry/mud room after years of...
kooopons
Mystery holes in cotton knits
My husband and I have been perplexed for over a year...
nicoletouk
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
2015 washer/dryer
I just bought a new house and need a washer/dryer....
Jason Burroughs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™