Lighting for Entryway

NaplesGuyApril 12, 2012

I am trying to figure out how large of a light fixture and how much wattage we need for our entry way. It is a 2 story entry way that is about 17.5 feet wide by 15 feet deep with 23 foot ceilings. Half of the width is the foyer and the other half is a staircase. The fixture will be hung to be centered between them. See the attached plan (it's the chandelier I'm concerned about). There's 4 recessed lights in the ceiling in that area, so I'm trying to figure out what I need for the chandelier. The one our decorator proposed has 4 60 watt bulbs. It doesn't sound like a lot to me given the size of the space, but maybe it is, given the recessed cans in the ceiling.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

It could suffice assuming a ~ 20 lumens per sq ft. 17.5 * 15 *20 = 5250.

A 60 W incandescent bulb produces ~ 800+ lumens. So 4 bulbs would provide ~ 3200 lumens.

A recessed can will produce ~ 500 - 550 lumens light. A Cree Cr6/ CR4 will produce ~ 575 lumens (max nominal rating). If you have a dimmer cut the max by 5%.

Assuming a reduced output of 546 per can, you get 2400 (chandelier) + 4 * 546 = 5384 lumens.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
Help with different types of LED recessed lighting please!
Can someone explain the basic differences in the different...
Michelle
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
progressnerd
Please help us get rid of buzz from dimming LED can lights
I cross posted this in Kitchens, but am hopeful someone...
laughablemoments
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™