Another LED under cabinet question - Help

lry511April 25, 2011

I am planning my kitchen renovation. I have a run of cabinet which I am planning for LED under cabinet lighting. I have two - 30" cabinets, two - 33" cabinets, and one 12" cabinets. What size LED lights are appropriate for these size cabinets? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lry511

I have no under cabinet lighting now. I am very excited about having LED under cab lighting in this renovation. I have been looking at the Kirchler lights which are mounted to the front of the cabinets. The longest box is 18", is that big enough for a 30" cabinet or do I need to link a 6" with it to make it a total of 24"?

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 7:56AM
David

I would try to make the longest possible continuous run as possible to minimize shadow zones.

Look at other vendors too. There is the LED UCL DIY thread on this forum.

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 7:08PM
mountaineergirl

I used the longest possible light bars that would fit because I did not want "breaks" in the lights. For a 33" cabinet, I linked a 24" and a 6" bar, and then it was a tight squeeze to place the hole where the wire had to go up thru the cabinet, or thru the bridge to the other cabinet. I do have one 36" cabinet that I still just used 30" of lights, but there is a dimmer switch on the end. For 15" cabs I used 12" lights.

The on/off/dimmer switch is 2", so I allowed for those at the end of each run.I got my lights thru environmentallights.com and absolutely love them!

Here is a link that might be useful: the dimmer switch I used

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 8:37AM
ctpete

I'm writing to share a trick for using flexible LED strips for under-cabinet lighting. The problem I was having is that you see reflection of every single LED light on the counter if you have a polished stone countertop. The idea is to create a rail to mount to the under-cabinet that angles the light toward the backslash and slightly up. It creates nice even light and eliminates the reflection of individual LEDs on the countertop...

I had my local heating-duct supply store bend a strip of galvanized sheet metal: long enough for the run of lights by 2-1/2 inches wide. This is bent along its length at a 60 degree angle - with 1.5' (3.5cm) on one side and 5/8' (1.6cm) on the other. (The profile looks like a check mark.) Spray paint the whole thing flat black-to absorb reflections further. The 1.5' part is attached horizontally to under-cabinet - with the 5/8' part furthest from the back-splash and about 9 inches from the backsplash. The LED light strip is attached to the 5/8' part so it faces the backsplash (and slightly up). Looks a something like this in profile installed:
_____
\*

I used this product http://www.ledlightsworld.com/smd-3528-flexible-led-strips-300-leds-p-90.html warm light (3000-3500), waterproof surface injection (IP65), background white - comes with 3M adhesive on back. They ship express from China, and I found them to be reliable and responsive. They also have a range of UL-listed transformers - (it's a 12V DC application) and connectors. If you want tons of light they sell a strip with twice the LED density (600/5 meter reel)-but also twice the price. I found the the 300 to be plenty of usable light in an already well-lit kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: My supplier

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 7:51AM
Sara_in_philly

ctpete, can you post a picture of your installation please?

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 9:34AM
More Discussions
Retrofitting off-sized recessed lighting with LEDs-Help?
We are renovating our just-purchased apartment and...
lindy74
Disappointed with my LED recessed lights ... what now?
My LED recessed lights (Cree 6'' 2700K) were installed...
aussies
Is it ok to install ceiling lights in the slab itself?
I'm getting a new house built and trying to figure...
pursuitofhome
Legacy Debut Kitchen Cabinet -designer construction
Hi, Does anyone have any feedback on this cabinet...
Lisa Smith
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Giant Fern Espresso 5 ft. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Chilewich Pebble Table Runner - Chilewich
$40.00 | HORNE
Muse Chaise, Right
Design Within Reach
Tribecca Low Profile Bed - ADL2389
$950.00 | Hayneedle
Lucerne Sheer 96-inch Curtain Panel Pair
Overstock.com
Eye for Design Pillow Cover in Red
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™