Ceiling fan works remote and lights don't

JavachikApril 10, 2013

With warm weather finally here,last night I discovered the ceiling fan remote doesn't work for light or fan. I thought well after 8 yrs I guess it's time for a new battery. No help. Then thought the wall switches got turned off or the pull chains were used to turn off the light/fan. Several switching and chain pulling efforts later it appears that the wall switch for the fan will turn the fan on, but if I flip the wall switch for the light, not only do the lights not come on, but the fan shuts down. If I have the fan on (and light switch on or off), the remote still doesn't operate the fan.

Can anyone suggest what I should be checking for to determine whether it's the ceiling fan/light unit that needs to be replaced or the wall light switch is bad or....???

TIA but pls keep it REALLY simple or step-by-step as I neither play an electrician on TV nor am I one in real life. I'm not color blind though so I can discern red, white, black and green wires from each other!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Are you saying that this installation previously worked properly in all functions and no longer does so?

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 9:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lascatx

For us, it meant the remote sensor/receiver or the switch itself had failed. We wound up getting a new fan since the fixture was built-in and couldn't be changed or inexpensively repaired. Our light didn't have a chain or anything, so we could only use the fan and forget the light until we changed it out.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 1:45PM
More Discussions
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
Pendant help
Hello, Does anyone know where I can buy these lovely...
Nicole Falla
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™