Zucchini bread. Can't believe I did that.

dedtiredJuly 19, 2014

Just baked two loaves of Z-Bread. Smells great. Looks great. A light bulb just went on in my head that I forgot to add the cup of oil. I'm an idiot. I haven't cut them yet but I am betting that it will be extremely dry Z-Bread. Oy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dedtired

I finally sliced one. It is about one step away from being a brick. These are going into the trash and I will try again. Dammit.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 3:55PM
jasdip

Oh no!! Doesn't that make you mad!

Lately I've been putting all of my ingredients on the counter and then putting them to the other side, or back in the cupboard as I use them. I even do that when I make my spice mix, to ensure I don't forget anything.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 4:08PM
dedtired

I have done this sort of thing often enough so that I have learned to read the entire recipe first and then go back over the list of ingredients to be sure everything is in there. Well, obviously, I didn't do that this time.

And yes, it does make me mad! I like your method. Maybe if I put everything on the right and then move it to the left as I use it, I'll do better.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 4:22PM
plllog

BREAD PUDDING!!!!

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 5:06PM
dedtired

Door stops.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 7:35PM
dedtired

dupe

This post was edited by dedtired on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 20:49

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:48PM
dbarron

I forgot the sugar once in Zucchini bread.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:53PM
dedtired

Ew. How did that taste?

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 9:21PM
dbarron

Disgusting...fed to dog.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 9:24PM
dedtired

Hmmm, maybe my zucchini bread would make good dog chews.

I made two more loaves, this time with the oil and some yogurt. They are still cooling, but they look a lot better. Guess which one has the oil in it?

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 10:19PM
annie1992

dedtired, it's not funny, but it is, kind of. It seems so much like something I'd do, although I usually read the recipe, mix up all the ingredients, read the recipe AGAIN to make sure I added everything, then bake. Sometimes I still get it wrong. Ah well. I was hoping that all that zucchini would add enough moisture to at least save it.

French Toast? Not that MY dog would turn up her nose but still...

Annie

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 12:23AM
grainlady_ks

I wouldn't trash them.... A failed (yeast or quick) bread can be incorporated into other things like French Toast or Bread Pudding.

I also convert them to fresh or dried bread crumbs and use them in "bread crumb recipes" I have gleaned from old cookbooks over the years making brownies, cakes, cookies, waffles and pancakes. It merely replaces all or some of the flour.

The beauty of these old - waste not, want not - recipes, they have all worked equally well with my gluten-free leftovers and failures. :-)

-Grainlady

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 9:50AM
dedtired

Actually, it is kind of funny, Annie, in a slap your forehead and roll your eyes kind of way. To top it off, this morning I discovered a pint of expensive organic ice cream left in the fridge not the freezer. I put it in there to soften it because it was hard to scoop and forgot it. The only thing getting soft is my brain.

Grainlady, it is encouraging to hear that you screw up sometimes too! In this case, I cannot see putting good ingredients after bad. Maybe I will throw it out for the foxes to eat. They seem to eat pretty much anything and have strong jaws.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 12:12PM
Nancy zone 6

I made rolls today, took them out of the oven & I always have to have one immediately with butter. Took the first bite & realized I had left out the salt. Not a total loss, lacking in flavor, but nothing a bit more butter wouldn't cure.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 5:00PM
dedtired

Squirrels enjoyed the zucchini brick.

Ngraham, spread them with salted butter, I guess!

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 10:33PM
Nancy zone 6

Yup, salted butter smeared all over it, yum, I never missed the salt. Of course, a lot more calories than I usually take in, but can't waste a good roll :)

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 9:35PM
solsthumper

It happens.

But your perseverence paid off, and now you have two beautiful zucchini loaves. The squirrels are happy. And I'll bet the birds are singing too.

Pam, long ago, when I used to bake for clients, I forgot the sugar in a cake I was baking. The sugar.

I would've never realized the error of my ways if I hadn't trimmed the cake (to sneak a taste from the scraps), before icing it. Ay Dios mio :)

A recipe for disaster, indeed.

Sol

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 3:32PM
jessyf

Squirrels enjoyed the zucchini brick.

Ah but were they your neighboring black squirrels.....

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 1:07AM
annie1992

Jessica!!! You're back and evil as always, LOL.

I missed you.....

Annie

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 1:28AM
CanadianLori

Bet those sqirrels are holding their tummies...

I have forgotten things too so now I put everything on the counter then pour and put back in the cupboard or fridge. When the counter is clear, the recipe is filled. Oh, except for that time I forgot to put the eggs on the counter... yup, even that method is not fool proof!

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 3:00PM
dedtired

If I was feeding it to the "neighboring black squirrels" I would have included some arsenic. Nice to see ya, EJ.

Well, if you can forget ingredients, Sol, then I don't feel so bad. Another time I made a german chocolate cake and forgot the butter in the cake. Fortunately the icing wa so rich it kind of covered up for the cake. A cake without sugar? Yuck.

Yeah, Lori, at some point you have to get the ol' brain functioning and that is harder all the time.

This post was edited by dedtired on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 22:31

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Easter Sunday Dessert
My favorite dessert is a good home-made pound cake....
Robert Givens
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
Happy Birthday Nancy/wizardnm
A little bird just told me that today is your birthday,...
annie1992
Curry (I think) flavored coffee cake
My boss's friend shared a coffee cake, or fruit cake...
sally2_gw
A couple more questions about the new format
I've noticed that there's an underline, then gw after...
sally2_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™