Backlighting a mirror

rjr220April 19, 2013

We are going to be renovating our bathrooms. Our guest bath is small, approximately 5 x 11 feet. I am planning on recessed lights, as well as a exhaust fan with a light.

My husband travels and has seen mirrors that are backlit. I found this backlit mirror on Houzz.com and am trying to replicate it. It appears to use flourescent lights -- I would like to consider LED's to wrap completely around the mirrors, be able to dim them and keep the room from getting hot.

Modern Bathroom by Phoenix Architect Spry Architecture

However, I only want to do this if the lights would be bright enough to replace the sconces by the mirrors. The area of the mirrors to be outlined will be approximately 17 x 30 inches. I have spoken with some online LED companies, and have been advised that with 80 lumens/ft, I would be able to rely on these for enough mirror light without having to have additional sconces.

Can anyone with actual LED for task lighting give me feedback -- can this footage provide me enough lighting in the BR?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ontariomom

Your idea would be beautiful. I have no idea if the light would be sufficient to replace a sconce though. A post on the bathroom forum by enduring (title something like bathroom reveal) featured a back lite mirror. However, she posted in another thread that the back lite mirror provide a nice nighttime glow but was not as bright as she had intended. She might have learned something from her DIY experience that would help you. We considered mirrors that had light panels inside the mirror. I saw some at Amazon (see link below). Perhaps they would suit your needs?

Good luck

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: mirror with light panels

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 10:19PM
More Discussions
Outdoor pendant lights for tree
I'm looking to recreate something like this installation...
jamescmeehan
Do LED lights put out enough light
I am looking at Moooi Raimond chandeliers. According...
mrsargent
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
recessed lighting suggestions
I'm having recessed lights installed in two rooms this...
evanderleeuw
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
valpogal47
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™