Help - How Many Pendants over 6 ft island??

zoe1chcltApril 18, 2011

My contractor just told me that I need to let him know tomorrow morning where to place the pendant lights in my kitchen. We just started the work last week, so my kitchen is currently an empty shell and I am having trouble picturing this. The island will be 35" X 72". I had one lighting store tell me 2 pendants, and that 3 would be far too many. The other lighting store told me I definitely need three of the mini pendants.

thank you for any help - too many decisions at once!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
numbersjunkie

My island is a triangle/pie shape and 74 x 69. I have 3 lights - set in a triangle. They are spaced 43" apart and only about 13 inches from the edge of my counter. Not only are my pendants within arm waving distance (they've been knocked a few times), I think they look funny - too far apart. Wish they were closer together and further in from the edge. But then my contractor forced me to make a decision when the room was empty as well. One of these days when DH is in a really good mood, I may ask him about moving them closer together.

I think I would do 3 if I had a rectangle island and could put them in a row - BUT that assumes the lights were on the small size like mine - 4w x 7h. If you pick larger lights, then 3 may be too many. Do you have your lights picked out? If you look at the fixtures that have multiple pendants, they are usually spaced fairly close together.

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 6:38PM
roadbike

What other ceiling lighting do you have. Two pendants seems right for a 6 foot island if the rest of the kitchen is well lit. Three could work as well if they are not particularly big fixtures. You may want to show a floow plan to a lighting designer at an independent dealer. Not one of the box stores.

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 11:52AM
zoe1chclt

The rest of the kitchen is well lit with previously installed cans. I think I am stuck with 2 because of a duct that would get in the way of my centering a pendant over the island. Looks like I have a choice because of the duct and the joists of either having the lights 30 inches apart and 21" from each side of the island, or 14.5 inches from each side and 43 inches apart. What would be best? I haven't picked out the lights yet - but the ones I like online seem to be about 4.5 to 6 inches in diameter.

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 3:45PM
More Discussions
Rosette on slanted dining room ceiling?
Moved into a resale which has a dining room fixture...
Barb P
Anyone using regular white bulbs in a clear glass fixture?
The light fixture my mom and I like best so far for...
Robyn Hoke
MR16 vs GU10
What is the difference between MR16 and GU10 halogen...
mtvhike
Need help identifying chandelier
Hello, I recently saw a chandelier that I really liked,...
Sgreen
Is it ok to install ceiling lights in the slab itself?
I'm getting a new house built and trying to figure...
pursuitofhome
Sponsored Products
Warwick Bronze Four-Light Pendant
$450.00 | Bellacor
Cloverdale Pendant by Quoizel
$229.99 | Lumens
Elk Lighting 15081/3 Veronica 3 Light Pendant in Vintage Rust
Beyond Stores
&'Costa | Cristal Small Pendant Light
YLighting
Filament Design Billiard Lights Concord 3-Light Ceiling Bronze Incandescent
Home Depot