ceiling fan or chandelier in great room?

rayyu12April 18, 2012

Hi! We are in the process of building a house. I recently saw an inventory home with the same builder that had a chandelier in the great room as opposed to a ceiling fan and it looked great. I really want to get a chandelier, but my husband is worried about summers. The room has a two story ceiling so he's also worried about air circulation. Any suggestions? Pros and cons of each? I would appreciate any advice. TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susieq07

Our home is a great room floor plan also, and dining room is part of the great room with a chandy there over table, so in LR part, we have a ceiling fan on a long rod at peak of high ceiling, and it's on now, with windows open, AC off in cooler weather. We have 13 ceiling fans in this home, in SW FL.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 11:48AM
michoumonster

we are going to go with a ceiling fan for our great room. i think the air circulation will help a lot as our great room is right next to the kitchen. in winter, you can reverse the blade direction to push warm air down. for a high ceiling, i think it might be useful.
as a compromise though, have you considered the fandeliers? they are ceiling fans that look like chandeliers. they are a little pricey, (but then, so are chandeliers) and have limited style selection, so we are opting to just do a ceiling fan.
here are a few pics of fandeliers

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 1:53PM
rayyu12

Thanks for the suggestions! Our builder has a contract with a lighting company so they get discounts on certain items. I don't think a fandelier is one of them. They look great though. I may consider that in the future!

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
If we need to do smaller 3 inch recessed lights in a shower ....
Hi everyone, We are trying to work out if we can put...
ontariomom
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
elcabezon
Do LED lights put out enough light
I am looking at Moooi Raimond chandeliers. According...
mrsargent
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™