Entry lighting - one or two fixtures

shmealApril 15, 2012

Our entry is 11-1/2' x 8' at the front door and then narrows to 6-1/2' at the powder room. The ceiling is 9' high.

I'm wondering if it is better to install two smaller fixtures in this area rather than one?

I've been looking for something between 18"-20" diameter. I would like something that hangs lower than a semi-flush but it needs to be shorter than 24". I'm finding the shorter fixtures aren't quite wide enough and vice versa.

If we install two 13" entry lights would that be overkill in this space?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roadbike

Because you have a stepped wall there are in essence two areas to light. Careful positioning of a single light could do the job resonably well. I think that two smaller fixtures on separate dimmable switches would give more comprehensive coverage. Remember that a 20" foyer light will likely be at least 40" tall and will have quite a presence in most entries.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 11:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shmeal

Thanks for your comments roadbike. I think we are either going to install two smaller fixtures (separate dimmable - what a GREAT suggestion!) or a track lighting fixture. We were at a lighting store in the city last weekend and the sales manager suggested going with something like that. DH became enamored with the idea. I am hesitantly mulling it over. I know it will light the area well, I'm just not sure I am ready to commit to a look that is so contemporary right at the front door.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
texasgal47
looking for some direction choosing leds for family room
I want to add some recessed led lights to the family...
gwald
Help with different types of LED recessed lighting please!
Can someone explain the basic differences in the different...
Michelle
Dining Room Lighting - Pendant too large?
I would like to remove my 6-globe chandelier and replace...
cubby325
Pendant help
Hello, Does anyone know where I can buy these lovely...
Nicole Falla
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™