Over sink lighting ideas?

worldmomJanuary 7, 2011

Our new kitchen will have can lights and two of these pendants over the island:

I had planned to do a flush-mount fixture above the sink, but when our contractor ripped out our lowered ceiling to reveal our new (old) 10' ceilings, I became concerned that a flush-mount would be dwarfed.

I am considering this PB one, but it bugs me that the lights couldn't be centered over each of our three kitchen windows due to the middle support on the fixture.

I would like a pendant of some kind, but I can't decide on what would look OK with the pendants we already have.

I'm linking my photo bucket album below so you can see rhome's renditions of the kitchen as well as some other relevant pics.

Thanks for any input!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen album

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michellemarie

My ceilings are 9' and yes a flush mount will look silly.
I am glad you figured this out before you purchased a flush mount. I paid about $200 for a fixure that I ended up keeping because of the restock fee.
I ultimately went with a pendant and I love it!

Bookmark   January 7, 2011 at 10:07PM
dianalo

I am using one like your flush mount with the yellow bands, but hanging and (it has frosted stripes). If you do a single fixture, I'd go big, but keep that shape as it is classic vintage and would look good near the one shown above.

Bookmark   January 7, 2011 at 10:07PM
worldmom

Dianalo - may I ask where you got the fixture you described? I'm intrigued!

Michellemarie - sorry to hear about your expensive boo-boo. We've had a few of those too, like the trim kit we ordered for our fridge and freezer when we thought they'd be standing side-by-side. Once this is all over, I plan to put all our boo-boos on eBay. ;)

My hubby really likes the PB fixture or something like unto it, but since this isn't a pressing issue (yet), I plan to spend some more time searching. What IS pressing is getting our radiant floor heat system ordered, but that's not nearly as fun to shop for. ;)

Bookmark   January 8, 2011 at 2:14AM
rococogurl

If you look at WAC or Lightolier you can get track lighting that installs flush on the ceiling with mini-lights that can be adjusted as needed for your set up. I'd be sure to have those on a dimmer. I use mine over the sink all the time.

It also won't compete with the pendants you've chosen whereas a flush-mounted fixture would.

One word about those from your inspiration pic. Because the shades are solid and bell shaped they will direct light down only. It will be basically like spotlighting your island. You won't get any light from the top of sides -- since you have ceiling lights I assume that works well for the plan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamps Plus

Bookmark   January 8, 2011 at 9:48AM
More Discussions
How big of a range do you need for 13+ feet of wall?
We are narrowing down our kitchen design bit by bit,...
veroni2413
Looking for stainless steel sink recommendations
Hey GW - I am looking for a single bowl SS sink for...
swatyreno
What does this tile say to you?
I am still in the planning stages of a small, U-shaped...
kelleg69
Can you look at my kitchen layout and tell me what I'm missing?
Sorry I posted this once previously, but I wanted to...
happyallison
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
Sponsored Products
Z-lite Minimalist 1-light Flush Mount Fixture
Overstock.com
Rockford Carbon Black Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Decker Brushed Nickel Five-Light Chandelier w/Clear & Frosted Glass
$339.99 | Bellacor
Sand Embroidered Peacock Shade Double Gourd Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Iron Table Lamp: 1-Light 33-1/4 in. Patina Iron Table Lamp 4140-3-573
Home Depot