Pendant lighting question

bellejackApril 22, 2009

Hi! I am new to the forum but have been lurking for quite some time. Just started a kitchen remodel and I am trying to wrap my head around all of it. We are taking a wall down that seperated our kitchen, living room, and dining room ~ in it's place is going a 6 foot long bar with regular countertop height on the kitchen side and bar countertop height on living room side ~ my question is how many pendant lights do I need for that length? I was thinking 3 but just needed opinions, ideas, help, pictures, etc. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coffeehaus

Welcome, Bellejack!
I'm no expert, but we have a kitchen island that is 6 feet long with a seating area on one side, all the same level because I wanted lots of workspace. Over the island we have 3 low-voltage pendants: one centered and the other two split the difference...in other words, 18 inches apart. Don't know if that's what a lighting designer would spec, but it's what our architect planned in our lighting layout. Sorry, no pics. You will need to think about what height to place those lights, eventually, with the two different levels on the bar. Also, consider whether you have other pendants in the adjacent rooms...too many hanging "things" can be distracting, IMHO.

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
If we need to do smaller 3 inch recessed lights in a shower ....
Hi everyone, We are trying to work out if we can put...
ontariomom
Pixi Lighting
Has anyone used the pixi lighting yet? It seems like...
stlblufan
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
Alternative to pot/can lights
Spoke to my GC yesterday and he suggested that I use...
abbabug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™