GE recalls 62,000 clothes washers, U.S. CPSC says

deeageauxOctober 4, 2012

Reuters - General Electric Co (GE.N) will recall 62,000 GE Profile front-loading clothes washers after receiving 19 reports of the washer basket breaking loose during the spin cycle, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said on Wednesday.

No injuries have been reported from the incidents, which affected washers sold at retail prices between $1,199 and $1,599 at retailers including Best Buy Co Inc (BBY.N), Lowe's Cos Inc (LOW.N), Home Depot Inc (HD.N) and Sears (SHLD.O).

"Product safety is a top priority, and we stand behind our products," said Julie Wood, spokeswoman for the largest U.S. conglomerate, whose wide range of products also encompasses light bulbs and jet engines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reuters Link

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SparklingWater

Can you imagine the basket torquing and coming up through the washers top panel? That's serious stuff especially if at a 1000 rpm spin. Good news, no injuries to date. Safety always first.

'The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and the General Electric Company (GE) have announced a voluntary recall of 62,000 GE Profile front-load washing machines, manufactured between April 2008 and October 2010. These washers were sold in white, red, and gold colors.'

Brand Model Number Begins With: And Serial Number Begins With:
GE Profile WPDH8800
WPDH8900
WPDH8910 All serial numbers with these models are included.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 6:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whirlpool_trainee

This was a popular case in Germany when our consumer magazine tested front loaders some time ago. A washer from the Hoover/Candy Group exploded during the 1400 rpm spin cycle. This happened during the durability test the magazine carries out and affected two of three tested units. Pieces of plastic were all over the test lab. Later, more and more owners of this washing machine reported similar things happening in their home.

Just punch in Candy Washer Explosion into Google and you'll find plenty of pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: some pictures

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
Does Persil Liquid ProClean from Walmart USA contain....
optical brighteners. Their website is next to useless...
spicy19
How to access Program Mode in Miele W3038
After almost four years without a washer yesterday...
recordaras
Electrolux 70 series....where's Larsi
A friend of mine is looking at Electrolux 70 series...
gates1
Kenmore Detergent
Has anyone seen the Kenmore Detergent at Sears? I saw...
sparky823
My LG FL is pilling my clothes
I have looked up every resource I know to help me with...
jessvb7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™