Rimfrost by Ikea is NOT crystal

vegansallyApril 11, 2010

The Rimfrost shade which used to be sold by Ikea is NOT crystal. I don't even think it is glass. I have three of these shades in my home and it seems more like acrylic or lucite. I am posting this because I just saw one get sold on Ebay for around $65, when it used to be sold at Ikea for $17. But what bothered me was that the seller was claiming that it was a CRYSTAL Chandelier. Most importantly it is NOT crystal and so to post it as such was extremely misleading. Those who bid on on-line auctions have to be able to trust that the item is described accurately. Secondly, it is not a chandelier - it is only a shade. I sent the seller numerous messages while the listing was still active advising him that I am somewhat of a crystal expert, and that I own three Rimfrost shades and that I am 100% certain that it isn't crystal. He posted a small part of one of my messages on the listing to 'cover himself' but he conveniently left out the parts which would have let the bidders know I knew what I was talking about. BEWARE: Although Rimfrost is a really cute shade, if it is crystal you are after then Rimfrost will disappoint. It will not create any prisms, even in direct sunlight. It does not sparkle at all.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newyearbabie

I hate it when people mis-represent a product and Ikea made two different shades called Rimfrost so yours may be different from mine which is definitely glass. Not crystal though.

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Quality of LED fixtures from different manufacturers
Hello! Does anyone know how LED light fixtures from...
linae
Disappointed with my LED recessed lights ... what now?
My LED recessed lights (Cree 6'' 2700K) were installed...
aussies
Transitional design lighting
Should light fixtures "match" in transitional...
sheepco4
Legacy Debut Kitchen Cabinet -designer construction
Hi, Does anyone have any feedback on this cabinet...
Lisa Smith
Buzzing LEDs
I'm exploring LEDs for a new build, and so far, not...
mtvhike
Sponsored Products
INSPIRE Q Albury White Faux Leather Chair with Ottoman
Overstock.com
Metal Art Studio RF Walnut White Atomic Wall Clock - 23 in. Wide - L0199
$224.25 | Hayneedle
Gus Modern | Spencer LOFT Bi-Sectional
YLiving.com
Leucos | Sphera T3 Table Lamp
$247.50 | YLighting
Van Teal Alma 35" High Acrylic Table Lamp
Euro Style Lighting