Need help with LED turn signal

Monica1119April 24, 2013

I plan on buying some LED strips to use as turn signals on my motorcycle. If I wire them up without a rely, I know they will blink really fast, but will that cause any harm to the LED's or reduce the life of them anyhow? I kind of like having them blink fast, especially on the motorcycle but I don't want to have to replace them every year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dodge59

It should not hurt them but you can buy flashers that are made for LED turn signals, at most auto parts stores.

There is a good chance they wont flash at all, (just stay on), depending on the type of flasher that is in you MC.

You can also add a "Dummy load" hi wattage, low value resistor but the proper flasher would be better and less draw on the electrical system.

Gary

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 11:03AM
Monica1119

Your idea seems good, i need to have a try,thanks

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 4:15AM
brickeyee

The most common flasher module uses a bimetallic strip hat heats up under the load of the bulb and opens the circuit until it cools off and closes the circuit again.

There are a few electronic ones out there, but they are still not all that common.

An LED is not likely to draw enough power to make it ever blink off.

Ever seen thos folks with rapidly flashing turn signals?
They havea flasher that is not rated for the bulb load it is operating.
It heats up to quickly and turns the light off.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 11:07AM
ionized_gw

In the olden days, rapidly flashing signal lights telegraphed the fact that the vehicle had too high a load on the circuit. When one bulb blew out, they slowed down some and it was not noticeable for a lot of drivers. More recently, electronic controls allow the lamps to flash at a very high relative rate when a lamp is "blown".

On the motorcycle, if you install the LED strips in addition to the existing lamps, you probably will not see any difference. If you replace the existing lamps with the LEDs, the load will be significantly reduced. In my Mercury, that would result in fast flashing. (In fact, it is flashing fast, intermittently, because I have to replace a socket with a burned contact.) In a vehicle with an old-fashioned signal stat, it would flash very slowly if at all with LEDs only.

Are not the nature of the lights and flash rate dictated by the DOT? Aren't you leaving yourself open to inconvenience at the hands of law enforcement officials, and legal liability if an accident occurs?

This post was edited by ionized on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 14:58

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
Anyone using regular white bulbs in a clear glass fixture?
The light fixture my mom and I like best so far for...
Robyn Hoke
Retrofitting off-sized recessed lighting with LEDs-Help?
We are renovating our just-purchased apartment and...
lindy74
Durable Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
I would like some recommendations on quality, durable...
happs
Is it ok to install ceiling lights in the slab itself?
I'm getting a new house built and trying to figure...
pursuitofhome
Buzzing LEDs
I'm exploring LEDs for a new build, and so far, not...
mtvhike
Sponsored Products
Nourison Area Rug: Chambord Beige Border 7' 9" x 10' 10"
Home Depot
Olivia 4-piece Reversable Duvet Cover Set
Overstock.com
Otos PL Outdoor Bollard by SLV
$306.00 | Lumens
Radcliffe Cast Iron Double Coat Hook
Signature Hardware
Ganesha Pillow - Magenta
| Dot & Bo