Chandelier with single shade all the way around... Affordable?

bradycalvinApril 28, 2009

Hello all. We are really interested in putting in new chandeliers that have a single shade going all the way around. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that has an affordable line of these?

Maybe we could could make one buy purchasing a traditional chandelier and somehow attach a large single shade. Has anyone tried this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginger_light

If one bulb is sufficient, you can make one of these with a stem mounted pendant and a shade that fits a harp. Not a clip on. It is really pretty easy to do. When you remove the stems from the top of the socket housing there is usually a nipple sticking up that is long enoug to sit the shade on and enough threads left to attach the stems on top of that. All you have to do is screw the stems back together and just besure the fist stem is tightened up sufficiently. If the fixture you find has a very short stem sticking out the top, you can replace it with one that is longer, even if you have to cut the longer one off some. You might ask to see the fixture out of the box to be sure that it has a nipple that will go through the hole in the shade. These nipples and the shade hole are pretty standard. Buy the cheapest stem pendant fixture you can find in the finish you want. It will have a glass, you won't need. Don;t worry about that, it will be chep enough. You can then use any shade you like, whatever size you like. Only drawback it that there won't be a glass diffuser under the light to shield the bulb, so be sure that you install it over the table at a comfortable height so you can't see the bulb. If your shade won't allow for that, you can use a Globe bulb that is meant to be seen.
I have used this simple trick numerous times when trying to keep a job in budget or when my client had to have a particular shade. This will work for just about any size shade. The larger the shade, the more wattage you can use. Mariana Imports makes some very nice drum shade fixtures that won't break the bank, if you can live with ivory shades. I remember doing a great bath re-model using this technique with 4 small drum shades and hanging them
down on either side of the facebowls. We saved a small fortune on that job. We really got 4 for the price on 1. I also did a great small restaurant re-model on a tight budget with shades that the owner had hand painted.
Good Luck

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 8:56PM
More Discussions
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
Pendant light shades
Hi! New to the forum- don't know what took me so many...
chelseahasrouni
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Need help identifying chandelier
Hello, I recently saw a chandelier that I really liked,...
Sgreen
thoughts on WAC Lighting LEDme Pro Light Bars
title says it all - any feedback on this brand and...
lmgch
Sponsored Products
Artichoke Style Lamp
IFN Modern
Livex Pomplano 8842-64 Wall Sconce - Palatial Bronze with Gilded Accents - 16W i
$699.90 | Hayneedle
40W 120V T10 E26 Clear Bulb by SATCO Lighting
$2.99 | Lumens
Savoy House Colton Transitional Chandelier
1800Lighting
Albany Three-Light Heirloom Bronze Chandelier with Satin Etched�Glass
$136.50 | Bellacor
Crystorama Roosevelt Collection Patina19" Wide Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Academy Weathered Rust Four-Light Chandelier
$606.00 | Bellacor
Crystorama Paris Flea Market Champagne 8-Light Chandelier